Nigeria's government said Islamic extremists from Boko Haram have agreed to an immediate ceasefire, but many people expressed doubts Friday about a development that could end an insurgency that has killed thousands and left hundreds of thousands homeless in Africa's most populous nation.
The fate of more than 200 missing schoolgirls abducted by the insurgents six months ago still is being negotiated, Defence Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Chris Olukolade told The Associated Press.
|Maj. Gen. Chris Olukolade|
Neither Hollande nor Nigerian government officials gave any details.
Boko Haram negotiators "assured that the schoolgirls and all other people in their captivity are all alive and well," Mike Omeri, the government spokesman on the insurgency, told a news conference.
Omeri confirmed there had been direct negotiations this week about the release of the abducted girls. Another official said the talks took place in Chad with Danladi Ahmadu, who was identified as the Saudi Arabia-based secretary general of Boko Haram. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to talk to reporters.
Boko Haram leader
But two people involved in previous negotiations with the extremists said they had never heard of Ahmadu. Both spoke on condition their names were not published because of the sensitivity of the issue.
Doubts also were expressed on Twitter by Ahmad Salkida, a Saudi-based Nigerian journalist living in self-exile because of his links with top leaders of Boko Haram.
Possible political ploy
Salkida suggested the ceasefire announcement was a political ploy as President Goodluck Jonathan prepares to announce he will run again for the presidency in February elections. Boko Haram leaders are "miffed," Salkida tweeted, that people are being "easily encased in deceit." C'mon, we're talking Nigeria here; deceit is the gold standard of communications in Nigeria. This would be hilarious if it wasn't so tragic and frustrating.
|Ambassador Hassan Tukur|
In an interview with the BBC, Tukur said Boko Haram had promised to release Chinese construction workers kidnapped in Cameroon and the wife of a vice prime minister of Cameroon. Cameroon announced Oct. 11 that 27 hostages, including 10 Chinese and the Cameroonian official's wife, had been released.
The original #BringBackOurGirls protest movement in Abuja, Nigeria's capital, called for confirmation of the truce from the president.
The principal of the school from which the girls were abducted, Asabe Kwambura, had mixed feelings about the news. "If what we hear is true, I will the happiest person in the world to see these girls of mine return home in one piece," she told The Associated Press.
"But many of us are still forced to doubt government," she added, saying the girls should long have been rescued.
If this turns out to be a hoax, like all the others, some very high ranking officers should be court-martialled and imprisoned if not put on the wrong end of a firing squad. Playing politics with those girls lives and their family's hopes is cruel beyond belief. Someone should pay.