By Debleena Sarkar
|A man walks past under colourful umbrellas in Getafe, outskirts of Madrid, |
August 1, 2013. Picture taken with a fisheye lens. Reuters/Juan Medina
Kapociunas, who is an artist, was living with his wife Jane Hardy who was the ambassador to Spain at that time. He faced a two-week trial before the ACT Supreme Court this month. He was facing three counts of charges for engaging in sexual activities other than intercourse with a minor.
The Canberra Times reported that the incidents allegedly happened in Kapociunas’ room in Madrid last year. Kapociunas denied the allegations brought against him. After the jury passed its verdict, he left the court along with his wife and refused to make a comment on it.
A month after Kapociunas was charged with the offence in October last year, Hardy ceased to be Australia’s ambassador to Spain. The matter on the undecided charge will be taken up in court in February.
A FORMER “girlfriend” of alleged child sex abuse defendant Basharat Hussain told a court she lied in a police statement — but said she did it because she was finally escaping him.
Sheffield Crown Court heard today that the woman made the statement in 2003 when Hussain was arrested by police at Manchester Airport for drug offences after they returned from holiday, saying that their relationship had been “mainly fine” and he had never been violent towards her.
Ms Gillian Batts, for Hussain, said this was the truth and what she had told police recently about his physical and sexual abuse was a lie.
The woman said she had seen his arrest as her “escape” from him because police told her he was “going away for a long time” — at least seven years, she believed.
Ms Batts said this would have been the ideal opportunity to tell the police about her abuse.
She answered: “For who, to believe me? Why would I drag all that up? It was a relief they had got him and he had gone, that was my way out.”
Ms Batts said: “So you agree you lied in a statement to the police?”
The woman (33), said: “I lied to protect myself and my family.”
The defence barrister said that when a police officer visited the woman’s home in October 2013 she had been asked questions about certain people, including Hussain.
Ms Batts said the woman told police she had been in a relationship with him but was not a victim of abuse.
The witness replied: “I said that because I didn’t want any more to do with it, I didn’t want to go through that horrible feeling. I said that to just end it all.”
The woman said she went to the police five months later in March 2014 because the visit had caused her to suffer from depression and flashbacks and she felt she needed to finally tell someone.
Ms Batts suggested that some of the claims she had made about being forced into oral sex, being bound and having petrol poured over her, were identical to references made in the independent enquiry (Jay report) she had heard about in the news.
Ms Batts said: “You have taken your inspiration for your allegations from the contents of this enquiry.”
She replied: “They are not inspirations, it was my life.”
Ms Batts added: “Every allegation you have made is set out on page one of that report.”
The witness answered: “I have not read a report, that was my life, not a story, no coincidence.”
Mr Tair Khan, for co-defendant Arshid Hussain, said the woman’s claims that Arshid forced her to perform oral sex on men were fabricated.
A statement from the complainant’s mother was read to the jury. In it she said she did not see Basharat and her daughter’s relationship as normal and he seemed to control her.
She said her daughter became withdrawn and Basharat would “just let himself into our house and go straight up to her room”.
She added: “He would never say hello, I thought he was rude and disrespectful.”
Bizarre! No wonder the girl had problems.
The jury has now been released from the trial for the Christmas break and will return on January 4.
Arshid and Basharat Hussain deny all the charges against them.
|Sheffield Law Courts|
The woman says Basharat Hussain (38), who is accused of 15 child sex abuse offences, did not tell her why he had poisoned the animals.
“I just found them in the garden think it was when I was about 18,” she recalled in a police interview shown to Sheffield Crown Court.
“I loved them two cats they were brother and sister I found them in the garden curled up dead and he laughed.
“He said: ‘I've poisoned them’, I don't remember why.
“There had been nothing wrong with them up to that point, they were only young cats.”
Hussain denies all the charges against him.
The trial continues.
UNITED NATIONS -- The United Nations' "gross institutional failure" to act on allegations that French and other peacekeepers sexually abused children in the Central African Republic led to even more assaults, according to a new report released Thursday.
One young boy who initially reported an attack on his friends more than a year ago now says he has been raped, too.
The independent panel found that the accounts by children as young as 9 of trading oral sex and other acts in exchange for food in the middle of a war zone in early 2014 were "passed from desk to desk, inbox to inbox, across multiple U.N. offices, with no one willing to take responsibility."
Among those said to have looked the other way were the U.N. children's agency, UNICEF, as well as human rights staffers.
U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, in a statement, expressed "profound regret that these children were betrayed by the very people sent to protect them" and said he accepted the panel's broad findings.
The panel, led by Canadian judge Marie Deschamps, found that U.N. staffers failed or hesitated to pass the children's allegations to more senior officials, sometimes because of political concerns with France involved; showed "unconscionable delays" in protecting and supporting the children; failed to further investigate the allegations; failed to properly vet peacekeepers for past abuses; and, overall, appeared more concerned with whether one U.N. staffer had improperly alerted French authorities.
"The welfare of the victims and the accountability of the perpetrators appeared to be an afterthought, if considered at all," the report says.
As of now, more than a year and a half after U.N. staffers first heard the children's allegations of sexual abuse, no one has been arrested. Four French soldiers were questioned last week and released without charge, according to the Paris prosecutor's office. They have not been publicly identified.