Village court tells rapist to marry victim
The accused has been asked to wait until the victim,
Lata Rani, Correspondent
The victim is 11 years old. According to the Hindu Marriage Act, a girl can legally marry only when she completes 18 years of age.
A decision to this effect was taken at a kangaroo court held at Baisi village in Purnia district earlier this week.
The victim girl who studies in grade six was alone in her house when a local youth intruded into her room and allegedly raped her.
Subsequently, the matter was brought to the notice of the village court earlier this week. The accused reportedly confessed to his guilt after which the court told him to marry the girl.
On Thursday, the matter finally came to the notice of the local police when the victim’s family reached the local district superintendent of police Nishant Tiwary. The police have assured action against the culprit.
Incidence of rape remains a matter of grave concern in Bihar, and according to an official report, a total of 945 cases of rapes were reported last year. In 2015, a total of 1,041 incidents of rape were reported, while it was 1,127 in 2014 and 1,128 in 2013.
It is likely that fewer than 5% of rapes are ever reported to police.
An Alberta man accused of abusing his three daughters is facing 23 sex charges, including incest and procurement of a child for sex, and 17 weapon charges.
The 41-year-old man, from a small town west of Edmonton, was arrested in November, the internet child exploitation unit of the Alberta Law Enforcement Response Teams (ALERT) said Friday.
"The arrest may have stopped the abuse, but this family's nightmare continues," acting Insp. Pamela Robinson of the RCMP said at a news conference Friday.
"These are three girls that faced regular and prolonged abuse at the hands of their father; acts of evil that were incomprehensible to our most hardened investigators."
The man's name is not being released to protect the identities of the girls.
Edmonton police Staff Sgt. Stephen Camp said details of the case were "nauseating" for investigators.
Crimes were 'monstrous'
"It makes the investigative committee feel quite sick here that for so many years of their childhood they were psychologically imprisoned by their father for sick and sexual purposes," Camp said.
"These crimes were quite monstrous to the family and to society at large."
The man is alleged to have abused his daughters many times over the past six years, while the girls were all under the age of 18.
One of the daughters was allegedly procured for sex with strangers more than once, with the father recording the encounters on video, police said.
The girls are receiving help from a variety of support services.
ALERT is working with the Canadian Centre for Child Protection in using a cutting-edge program called Project Arachnid to remove data and pictures involving the girls online, Camp said.
The charges against the man include human trafficking, procuring a child for sexual activity, arranging a sexual offence against a child, sexual assault with a weapon, making child pornography and distributing child pornography.
Property like a 'compound'
The girls were isolated from contact with the outside world, Camp said. The family home-schooled and the rural property was like a "compound," police said.
Police seized about 40 restricted handguns and rifles, along with a machine-gun and a dozen prohibited devices, when the property was searched in November.
The 17 firearm charges include careless storage, unauthorized possession, and possession of prohibited devices.
Two other children, both boys, lived in the home, as did the children's mother, Camp said. He said the mother was also a victim in the case, and that she didn't know what the father was doing with the girls.
The investigation involving the RCMP, Edmonton Police Service, Child and Family Services, Zebra Child Protection Centre, and the Canadian Centre for Child Protection, began in mid-October.
The case, the largest to date for the internet child exploitation unit, was complicated with many layers, Camp said.
The family came to the attention of police when a witness came forward with "fourth-hand information and we backtracked that information to a primary witness ... a close associate to the family," Camp said.
The information the witness gave police was surreal, he said, calling the person extremely courageous and credible.
Any attempt to arrest the man, who had no criminal record at the time, was a "huge risk" with the number of firearms in the residence, Camp said.
However, preparation and days of surveillance on the home ended with an arrest without resistance, he said.
Camp said in his 26 years as a police officer he has never seen such a file. It's one he will never forget, he said.
The man has remained in custody at the Edmonton Remand Centre since his arrest last year while police investigated further.
The father's arrest was like a "dark cloud" being lifted for the girls, Camp said. "It is as if they had been emancipated from the grip or the prison of the father," he said.
"No child should have to endure what these three girls have survived."
The accused is scheduled to appear Monday in provincial court in Evansburg, 100 kilometres west of Edmonton.
ALERT teams, funded by the Alberta government, draw members from the sheriffs' department, the RCMP and police forces from across the province. They are dedicated to investigating serious crimes and organized crime.
Well done, and God bless you all.
Calgary, Alberta - "Broken" by sexual assault and "torn down by shame" after years of being molested by her stepfather, on Wednesday Taylor French faced the man who abused her to explain the impact of his crimes.
"I felt trapped in a secret game," she said of her childhood. "I don't know if it made me who I am today, or if it broke me."
The man Taylor addressed was Allan Dean Griffin, who was sentenced to nine years in prison by Court of Queen's Bench Justice John McCarthy after being found guilty in April of sexual assault.
'I am innocent'
Before he was sentenced, Griffin addressed the court, again denying his guilt.
"I am innocent, I will maintain my innocence," said Griffin from the prisoner's box. "I have never and would never do these things I am accused of."
A publication ban on the names of the accused and the complainants was lifted several years ago at the request of the victims, who are now in their 20s but were between the ages of seven and 14 at the time of the assaults.
Griffin was also originally charged with molesting his biological daughter but was acquitted after trial.
'The biggest mistake of my life'
In 2013, Griffin was found not guilty of the charges after a first trial, but that acquittal was overturned by the Alberta Court of Appeal because the original trial judge, Justice K. Yamauchi, was found to have relied on "discredited myths and stereotypes" about the disclosure of sexual abuse.
In their testimony, court heard Griffin's stepdaughters eventually told each other about their experiences — considered in law to be major sexual assaults — before confiding in their biological father, who brought them to the RCMP in 2010.
Lisa Fox, Griffin's ex-wife and the mother of his two victims — Kylie and Taylor French — said she lives with the guilt that many of the crimes against her daughters occurred when Griffin was taking care of them while she was at work, trying to build a career.
"How could I have not known how evil he was?" she said. "I felt like I had failed as a mother, as a human being on so many levels … my decision to be with Griffin was the biggest mistake of my life."
Unfortunately, it was a mistake that far, far too many mothers make. We need to be much more discerning as to whom we allow in our homes and in relationships with our children. This abuse cannot be undone!
'I forgave him'
Fox's other daughter also wrote a victim impact statement but asked the judge to read it privately instead of having it read aloud.
Griffin's supporters packed the courtroom and many wore large nametags that read "DEAN."
Crown prosecutor Ron Simenik had proposed a 10 to 12 year prison term while defence lawyer Paul Brunnen asked the judge to consider a five to six year sentence.
Despite the "constant trauma" she lives with, including memory triggers that complicate her relationships with men, Taylor French says she is trying to move on.
"I forgave him so that I wouldn't be destroyed by him," she said.
Good for you. May God help you all to heal completely.
A Calgary, Alberta man charged in the sexual assault of a five-year-old boy over the weekend has previously served time in jail for possessing child pornography, court documents obtained Tuesday reveal.
The child was riding a bike in the 3000 block of Elbow Drive S.W. around 10 a.m. on Saturday when he came across a man who was looking through garbage bins, according to police.
The man and the child then had a brief conversation, police said, before the man assaulted the boy.
'Incredible support system'
The child, who was not physcially hurt, then ran home and told his parents, who immediately called police.
"The victim has got an incredible support system," Staff Sgt. Melanie Oncescu with the Calgary Police Service (CPS) child abuse unit, said at a media briefing Tuesday.
She said while she is unable to reveal any specifics about the case, such investigations are handled very methodically, partly because young children communicate differently.
Immediately after the incident, the boy was taken to the Sheldon Kennedy Child Advocacy Centre for treatment.
Child pornography conviction
Kenneth Hornby, 57, was arrested on Sunday and charged with sexual assault, sexual interference with a child and invitation to sexual touching.
He served eight months in jail for possession of child pornography following charges in 2011.
Hornby has been back in court on several occasions since then, for breaching conditions of a recognizance and for failing to comply with probation.
Staff Sgt. Rob Davidson from the specialized offender unit — who oversees the CPS high risk offender program — said he cannot confirm whether Hornby was being monitored. However, he said members of the team conduct risk assessments of offenders on a weekly basis.
"As effective as we are, unfortunately, it is impossible to have a crystal ball," he said. "It's unfortunate that we aren't able to be everywhere at every time."
'Treatment and support'
Scharie Tavcer, who teaches criminal justice at Mount Royal University, says the incident highlights a systemic problem.
"Unfortunately it's not surprising because our communities lack the financial resources to invest in community treatment, mental health treatment, sex offender treatment, psychological services — you name it," she said.
"Not just probation supervision but treatment and support."
Hornby will be back in court on Wednesday.
Anne Arundel County police said a church chaperone and Bible study instructor has admitted to investigators that he sexually abused an 11-year-old boy.
Police said detectives interviewed the boy and learned that Granados-Zeledon was a volunteer at the Iglesia Hispanic Emmanuel Church in Annapolis. Police said Granados-Zeledon exploited his work as a volunteer and mentor at the church to gain the family's trust.
"These are allegations that were brought to us last month. Our Child Abuse Unit began an investigation," Anne Arundel County police Lt. Ryan Frashure said.
According to charging documents, the victim's mother told police that Granados-Zeledon knew the family from church and cared for the boy on several occasions. The charging documents state that Granados-Zeledon would take the boy from their residence to church, out to eat and occasionally to his house in Edgewater.
Investigators said Granados-Zeledon admitted to sexually abusing the boy at his Edgewater house.
"The suspect is someone who certainly gained the family and the juvenile's trust through the church and through the relationship they had at the church, so it's very unfortunate that he violated that trust," Frashure said.
The church has been cooperating with law enforcement in regards to the investigation, police said.
Police said Granados-Zeledon is no longer a volunteer at the church and had no affiliation with its private school or day care.
"We are certainly encouraging anyone who goes to that church to please come forward if they recognize this individual as having any type of inappropriate contact with them or their children. It's very important for us to make sure there are no other victims out there and investigate if there are," Frashure said.
Police said detectives don't have any evidence that leads them to believe there are additional victims.
If convicted, Granados-Zeledon could face 91 years in jail.
Any potential victims or anyone with information on the case is asked to call police at 410-222-4733, the anonymous tip line at 410-222-4700 or Metro Crime Stoppers at 866-7-LOCKUP.
State police arrested Williams in July 2016 after investigating a report of abuse against a victim under the age of 13, officials said.
Investigators did not disclose how the incident was reported to law enforcement, and prosecutors did not release additional details about the case in announcing Williams' guilty plea.
Richard Willis was arrested by National Crime Agency (NCA) officers in December 2016 after an investigation found that he had been using messaging apps to send abuse images.
The 51-year-old, who was a Sleaford town councillor at the time of the arrest, sent a number of images containing child sexual abuse, some of which were in the worst category possible.
None of the victims can be named for legal reasons. The chair of the magistrates, Lillian Molloy, informed Ormond, who is on bail without conditions, that he will appear next on 7 July at Newcastle crown court.