By Banner staff
child sexual assault charges
By TOMMY WITHERSPOON email@example.com
Testimony in the retrial of a former auto mechanic charged with sexually abusing two young family members is set to begin Wednesday morning.
Prosecutors Sydney Tuggle and Will Hix and defense attorneys Alan Bennett and Jessi Freud selected a 19th State District Court jury Monday to hear the case against 57-year-old Bryan Lacy Swisher, of Waco.
Swisher's first trial in January ended in a mistrial when jurors deadlocked 11-1 for guilty after six hours of deliberations. The lone woman who was against conviction told other jurors she would never vote to convict someone of sexually assaulting a child because she knows someone convicted of a similar offense and she does not think he is guilty. The woman did not disclose that during jury selection, court officials said.
So, like, all pedophiles are the same?
The two girls, who are now 11 and 12, testified at Swisher's first trial that he sexually abused them. The older girl testified that the abuse started when she was 6 and ended after she reported it to her mother one day after church when she was 9.
The younger girl testified Swisher abused her on one or two occasions during her visits to his Wenz Avenue residence. She reported the abuse a week after the older girl reported it.
During the first trial, Bennett and Freud called a counselor at the older girl’s elementary school who testified that the girl once made a report about a teacher at the school that proved false. The allegation was not sexual in nature, and the girl was moved to another classroom, she said.
The counselor said the girl’s reputation for telling the truth is not good.
But you can always trust a pedophile to tell the truth!!!!!?????
If Swisher is convicted, he has elected to have Associate Judge David Hodges, not the jury, assess his punishment. Hodges is presiding over the trial in place of Judge Ralph Strother.
Court officials expect the trial to last through Thursday.
An Adams County man appeared in court Tuesday morning in connection to an alleged sexual assault of a child.
Michael Bates, 23, was arrested on May 31 on an Adams County warrant, charging him with 1 count of Predatory Criminal Sexual Assault on a victim under the age of 13.
Bates could serve up to 60 years if indicted (convicted?) of the Class X Felony.
Bates's bond was set for $100,000. He remains in the Adams County Jail.
He will reappear in court on Wednesday, July 3, at 9:30 a.m. for a status hearing to declare his council.
A Lamar County jury this afternoon found David Lee Simpson, 44, of Whitewright, not guilty on two counts of second degree felony sexual assault of a child.
The charges dated to January 2016, when Simpson was accused of (14th story on link) sexually assaulting his best friend's then 14-year-old stepdaughter. He was indicted March 24, 2016, and was free on a $75,000 bond.
BY REBECCA GREEN
HELPER, Utah — A Helper City Council member was arrested and faces charges of burglary, trespass and forcible sexual abuse.
According to a statement of probable cause, Carbon County deputies were called to assist Helper City Police investigating a sexual assault case on June 10.
Helper is a small town in Carbon County near Price.
A woman told investigators Cloward came to her home uninvited and touched her inappropriately through bed sheets. She said he had also come over earlier in the day and made suggestive comments about her.
During the earlier encounter Cloward was at the home to check on his daughter, who was playing with another child at the home. He had come to pick her up the second time.
The woman said Cloward had been drinking and had an alcoholic drink in his hand both times he came into her home without permission.
Police said Cloward admitted to going to the home twice but denied entering the downstairs area where the alleged abuse occurred. However, another witness at the home confirmed they saw the man go downstairs after another person told him the woman was down there changing.
Cloward was booked into jail and faces felony counts of forcible sexual abuse and burglary of a dwelling. He faces lesser counts of criminal trespass, making a false statement, and intoxication.
A Chisholm man is facing decades in prison after a jury found him guilty of sexually abusing several minors over a period of years.
The jury found Reimer not guilty of a third charge of first-degree criminal sexual conduct. Two additional first-degree counts were dismissed.
"The strength and courage demonstrated by these victims in coming forward should be commended,” said Assistant St. Louis County Attorney Jeff Vlatkovich, who prosecuted the case. “As should the work of the Hibbing Police Department, St. Louis County Public Health and Human Services, and the Sexual Assault Program of Northeast Minnesota. It takes the cooperation and dedication of all involved in order to hold offenders accountable in these cases.”
Reimer has a long criminal record in Minnesota dating back to at least 2002, including convictions for burglary, domestic assault, theft, making threats of violence, and drug possession and sales.
Reimer is set to be sentenced July 25.
By Joe Skurzewski
Your News Leader
A federal jury convicted 30-year-old Calvin Delorme in March of aggravated sexual assault of a child under 12 years.
The victim told investigators in 2014 that Delorme abused her over several years when she was left in his care.
He’ll serve a lifetime of supervised release.
The FBI and Bureau of Indian Affairs investigated the case.
ENID, Okla. — A warrant has been issued for the arrest of a 42-year-old Enid man charged last week with child sexual abuse.
Online court records show Tracy Layne Nelson was charged Thursday, June 20, 2019, with a felony charge accusing him of "willfully engaging in lewd and/or indecent acts" to a child between Aug. 19, 2012, and Aug. 19, 2015.
The crime is punishable by up to life imprisonment to a year in county jail and/or a fine of $500 to $5,000.
Bond on the warrant for Nelson's arrest was set at $50,000.
According to an affidavit filed in the case, on March 19, 2019, Enid Police Department Officer Jonathan Stadler took a report about an 11-year-old disclosing to her counselor she was molested by Nelson.
The girl was forensically interviewed at the Dearing House in Ponca City, and a video of the interview was viewed by EPD Detective Jeff Roche, according to the affidavit. In the interview, the girl said the first encounter with Nelson occurred when she was 5 years old.
She said she was sleeping on a couch when Nelson woke her up and told her to take off her clothes, according to the affidavit. The girl said she told Nelson no but Nelson removed his clothing and got into bed with her.
The girl said she went to her bedroom and went to sleep. She said she was awakened by Nelson, who was naked, and he got into bed on top of her, according to the affidavit. The girl said Nelson was kissing her, pulling off her clothing and kissing her body.
The girl also disclosed when she was 7 years old Nelson would grab her hand and try to force her to touch his genitals, according to the affidavit. The girl said this happened over and over.
The girl also disclosed that Nelson touched her with his "privates," according to the affidavit. The girl said he was acting as if she were a grown woman.
Roche arranged to meet with Nelson at the police station on March 20, 2019, according to the affidavit. After Roche read Nelson his Miranda right Nelson did not want to speak with Roche.
On March 21, 2019, Department of Human Services spoke with Nelson, according to the affidavit. The caseworker contacted Roche, and said Nelson admitted to having sexual contact with the girl.
The caseworker said she had Nelson review her notes and sign them to ensure they were accurate, according to the affidavit. She shared the notes with Roche.
The caseworker noted Nelson wanted help for the sexual abuse allegations, according to the affidavit. The notes also indicated Nelson said he only touched the girl and never had sex with her. Nelson said he did not know how many times this occurred.
NEW PORT RICHEY, Fla. — A 39-year-old man was arrested Monday after deputies say he had been sexually abusing a child for six years.
According to an arrest affidavit, deputies spoke with the victim, who described years of sexual abuse that escalated to Graves allegedly pressuring her to have sexual intercourse.
The arrest report said the victim detailed the allegations against Graves to both law enforcement and child protective services. Deputies said a medical examination also "yielded positive findings" to the allegations.
Graves faces two charges related to the sexual battery of an underage victim and a charge of lewd and lascivious molestation/fondling of a victim 12-15 by someone over 18.
By Cammie Bellamy StarNews Staff
WILMINGTON -- A former New Hanover County Schools teacher accused of sexually abusing multiple students will serve at least 17 years in prison.
At the time of his appearance in New Hanover County Superior Court Tuesday, Kelly was facing nearly 60 charges, including indecent liberties with a child, indecent liberties with a student, and sexual exploitation of a minor. He had been held at the New Hanover County jail since his arrest, with bail most recently set at $2.1 million.
New Hanover County District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Samantha Dooies confirmed that Kelly had entered a guilty plea Tuesday. Dooies said Kelly was sentenced to between 17.6 and 31.8 years in prison.
A Lufkin man who was released on bond in March for indecency with a child was re-arrested on Friday for child sexual assault, according to Angelina County judicial records.
Tommy Dwayne Parker, 44, was arrested back on March 25 of this year for sexual indecency with a child for an incident back in August 2018. He posted bond the next day, however records do not show the amount.
Parker was re-arrested back on Friday, June 21 for sexually assaulting a child. He remains in the Angelina County Jail.
Parker has been arrested and convicted of child sex crimes twice in the past two decades.
In 1997, he was charged with Sexual Contact with a Child. He was sentenced to just 90 days in jail and 10 years probation.
90 days! Good grief! He obviously learned a lot in those few days.
Later in 2001, Parker was arrested again for the same charge. That time he was sentenced to 15 years in prison. He was released in 2013.
Parker also was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in 2001, but it was later dismissed.
A 39-year-old Caldwell man was sentenced to 60 years in prison on Monday after being found guilty of continuous sexual abuse of a young child earlier this month.
A Burleson County jury convicted Aurelio Hernandez-Cruz of the first-degree felony charge June 7. He will not be eligible for parole.
Caldwell officers began an investigation after an 11-year-old girl made an outcry of abuse in Travis County. Hernandez-Cruz was indicted on the charge in April 2018.
According to the Burleson County District Attorney’s Office, the girl, now 13, said the abuse happened regularly for four years.