Kevin Spacey's brother has said his father was a neo-Nazi who sexually abused him during his childhood.
Mr Fowler claimed his father, Thomas Geoffrey Fowler, was a fervent Nazi supporter and his home was brimming with Third Reich memorabilia in an interview with the Daily Mail back in 2004.
“There was so much darkness in our home it was beyond belief. It was absolutely miserable,” the eldest son told the paper.
Mr Fowler claimed he was frequently whipped and raped by their father and alleged their sister Julie was also subject to beatings before leaving home at the age of 18.
He said his brother Kevin tried to ignore what was going on at home by emotionally blocking stuff out and disconnecting. He said: “Kevin tried to avoid what was going on by wrapping himself in an emotional bubble. He became very sly and smart.
"He was so determined to try to avoid the whippings that he just minded his Ps and Qs until there was nothing inside. He had no feelings.”
Mr Fowler’s account of his father massively differs to that of Spacey who described his father, who died on Christmas Eve in 1992, as a “very normal, middle-class man, born in Caspar, Wyoming” in an interview in 2002.
Spacey has been condemned by a string of Hollywood commentators for coming out as gay in the wake of the allegation.
“When power is used in a non-consensual situation, it is a wrong,” former Star Trek actor George Takei said. “For Anthony Rapp, he has had to live with the memory of this experience of decades ago."
“For Kevin Spacey, who claims not to remember the incident, he was the older, dominant one who had his way. Men who improperly harass or assault do not do so because they are gay or straight - that is a deflection. They do so because they have the power, and they chose to abuse it.“
The Independent contacted a representative of Spacey to see if he wanted to respond to his brother's allegations about their late father.
Testimony in the first day of the trial of an Abilene man accused of sexually abusing two young girls (3rd story on link) concluded Tuesday with a detective on the stand.
Abilene police detective Jerame Montgomery testified Tuesday that he investigated this case after a 9-year-old girl made an outcry to a teacher about potential sexual abuse. Montgomery is a detective with the Crimes Against Children Unit, where he has been for four years.
Montgomery made contact with the girl at her school and her 7-year-old sister who also had contact with Sturgis, Montgomery testified.
Montgomery testified that the girls told him Sturgis would spray a cleaning solution known as "Jungle Juice" onto a cloth and have the girls sniff it, also known as "huffing." The detective testified that huffing is common in cases like these because it supposedly "enhances the sexual experience."
The girls each had a sexual assault examination, which confirmed their allegations against Sturgis, Montgomery testified.
The jury next was shown a video of an interview between Montgomery and Sturgis at the police station. Sturgis waived his right to an attorney and spoke with Montgomery while not under arrest.
In the interview, Sturgis admits to huffing but denies doing it around children. He says in the interview he does not have contact with children. Additionally, Sturgis denies having sexual contact with children.
Montgomery also testified that two more people came forward a month after the girls did and claimed that Sturgis abused them, as well. Both individuals were now adults, but the alleged abuse they described, which mirrored the girls' claims, occurred when they were children.
Initially, Lynn Ingalsbe, Sturgis' attorney, objected to Joel Wilks, assistant district attorney, bringing up the other two people who made outcries because they are not part of this case. Ingalsbe claimed Wilks only wanted to tell the jury about the other two to "assassinate" Sturgis' character.
Wilks argued that the fact Sturgis had been indicted for the alleged abuse against the two other people who came forward showed intent, motive, preparation and planning, and demonstrated that the alleged abuse against the girls was not a mistake.
Judge Lee Hamilton overruled Inglasbe's objection and allowed the jury to hear about the other two people who made outcries.
In June, a grand jury indicted Sturgis in 2007 and 2014 cases in which he is accused of molesting an 8-year-old girl and a young boy, respectively, according to the indictments.
In both cases, the abuse allegedly occurred on many separate occasions.
The continuous sexual abuse of a child charge is a first-degree felony punishable by five years to life in prison and a fine up to $10,000.
The indecency with a child charge is a second-degree felony punishable by two to 20 years in prison and a fine not to exceed $10,000.
GALESBURG — Local authorities arrested a Galesburg man on charges of child pornography Tuesday morning.
According to online Illinois State Police records, Glas is a registered sex offender for violating sex offender registration and aggravated criminal sexual abuse of a victim between the ages of 13 and 16.
The Knox County Sheriff’s Department announced the arrest by news release and said the Galesburg Police Department along with the Office of the Attorney General High Tech Crimes Bureau assisted in the case.
Several items were seized from the residence that contained evidence in the case, the news release said. That release said authorities were “making Halloween a little more safe.”
Glas could make a video court appearance in the case as early as Wednesday afternoon.
By STEPHANIE K. BAER | firstname.lastname@example.org | San Gabriel Valley Tribune
A former priest who served in Southern California and was named in a 2015 child sexual abuse lawsuit allegedly molested at least four additional children at parishes in Palmdale, Redondo Beach and Covina, according to lawsuits recently filed in Los Angeles Superior Court.
Civil complaints filed in July and October allege former Rev. Chris Cunningham sexually molested boys ages 10 to 15 from the mid-1990s to the early 2000s at St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Palmdale, St. Lawrence Martyr Catholic Church in Redondo Beach and St. Louise de Marillac Catholic Church in Covina.
The lawsuits, which name the churches and the Archdiocese of Los Angeles as defendants, also allege the archdiocese knew of the allegations against Cunningham.
The archdiocese did not investigate, opting instead to transfer the priest to various assignments and destroy the complaints, according to the court filings. None of the plaintiffs is named in the lawsuits.
Robert Flummerfelt of Canon Law Services, which is representing Cunningham, said in an email that the former priest denies the allegations and has “never sexually abused anyone.”
The new lawsuits come after a 2015 case filed by the same attorney, Anthony DeMarco, on behalf of a plaintiff who he said was sexually molested as a 12-year-old boy at St. Louise in Covina from 2001 to 2002.
“We’ve since that time learned of quite a few more victims of his abuse,” DeMarco said Tuesday. “Folks in charge of youth at every parish he was at leading up to St. Louise and at St. Louise were aware of that conduct and nearly all of them reported their suspicions and concerns to their superiors.”
All three complaints describe Cunningham as regularly having underage boys alone with him in his church living quarters, regularly wrestling with them on church grounds and regularly meeting with them without chaperones outside of church.
Cunningham was removed from active ministry in 2006.
The archdiocese said in a statement that Cunningham was reassigned from St. Louise in 2004 “due to management issues not related to misconduct” and that the church “was not aware of any alleged sexual misconduct until 2015,” when the initial lawsuit was filed.
“The archdiocese received allegations of improper boundary violations concerning Fr. Cunningham in August 2005,” the archdiocese said in the statement. “According to archdiocesan policy, the matter was investigated and an announcement concerning the allegations was made at the parish informing the parish community.”
However, in 2013 Archbishop Jose Gomez released a list of priests accused of sexually abusing children that included Cunningham’s name.
The list dated October 2008 was posted to the archdiocese’s website without mention, according to BishopAccountability.org, which discovered the addendum. The group aims to catalog and make available every document related to child molestation in the Catholic Church.
An archdiocese spokesperson said Cunningham was included on the list because of “improper boundary violations” reported in 2005 — not because of any sexual misconduct allegations.
The list, which was described as a “final addendum” to archdiocese’s “Report to the People of God: Clergy Sexual Abuse,” is no longer posted on the archdiocese’s website. But it can still be seen in archived internet pages.
The 2015 case is scheduled to go to trial later in November.
KAUFMAN COUNTY, Texas -- Edward Mann is a hometown guy. People in Terrell call him Buddy. He was a youth league baseball coach, former school volunteer, volunteer fire chief, and the husband of a school board member.
So it's no wonder the sexual abuse allegations against Mann have shocked and upset the tiny town. Mann is in the Kaufman County jail, accused of molesting two different men when they were underage. His bond is set at $200,000.
Investigators are now looking into allegations involving two other potential victims. Both are now adults also.
“I've tried to think of a good adjective to describe it, but when I first heard it I just really couldn't believe what I had heard,” Wood said. “It's something that nobody expected.”
The sexual abuse allegations against Mann came to light earlier this month when a 20-year-old college student reported the abuse to his mother. He was home from college at the time.
“She came in reporting that her son had woken up in the middle of the night and was upset because he had seen the offender earlier that day,” says Jimmy Weisbruch, the Kaufman County investigator heading the case.
The young man told his girlfriend about the alleged abuse. She, in turn, encouraged him to tell his parents. He told police Mann abused him for about four years from the age of nine to 12. Mann was his baseball coach.
Kaufman County sheriff’s investigators searched Mann’s house and arrested him the same day. He got out of jail on bond, but was re-arrested Friday after another 20-year-old man told police he was 14 when Mann touched him after high school baseball practice.
At the time, Mann had been acting as a self-appointed athletic trainer. Weisbruch says Mann exhibited classic “grooming patterns.”
“He started off just with innocent touches on the leg [and] comments that he would make to these kids that he would see if they were receptive to what he was doing,” the investigator said.
Mann volunteered with the district from 2007 until 2014. That’s when the district got a complaint about him from a 17-year-old student's guardian.
The guardian told district officials about a text conversation with Mann that made the student feel uncomfortable. Mann had been doing massage and stretching exercises to help the student work through a sports injury.
Gary Mork, chief of the Terrell school district police, says he felt the text messages had sexual overtones and it made him suspicious. The text messages spoke of Mann wanting to see him and wanting to come to his house.
“When we dug into it we could not come up with anything. The student we spoke with wouldn't substantiate any type of sexual contact,” Mork said. He also says the young man made no claims that Mann had touched him inappropriately and police found no evidence that a crime had occurred.
Mork says he spoke with Mann about the situation. “He said he had no intent as far as anything sexual,” Mork said. “He assured me that he was there for the interest of the kids and he assured me that he would never harm a child.”
Mork says he advised Mann that he should stay away from students and shouldn’t be texting them.
As a result of the complaint, Mann was banned from volunteering for violating a district policy that bars contact with students outside of school.
“I don't know how many victims there are, but if there's more we’re willing to help,” Mork says. “I just hope they will come forward.”
Mann's wife resigned from the school board following news of his arrest (6th story on link). Police do not believe his wife had any prior knowledge.
“She was genuinely shocked when we arrested him that night,” Weisbruch says.
A Pennsylvania children’s entertainer who dressed up as Elmo and Spongebob Squarepants for kids’ parties now stands accused of sexually assaulting five boys as young as 5 years old, PEOPLE confirms.
Rather, Cripps allegedly made friends with the single or divorced moms of the minors and then offered to babysit the children, who allegedly were molested at several different addresses between 2008 and 2017, according to the prosecutor and court documents in the case obtained by PEOPLE.
“Nope!” Cripps told reporters who asked if he was guilty of the charges as he was led Monday from the courthouse following his arrest, reports Philly.com.
Earlier sex-assault charges involving minors that led to Cripps’ arrest in 2003 and 2006 were withdrawn each time, according to the website.
Said Whelan at the news conference: “Make no mistake, this is a very serious child predator.”
The current investigation into Cripps began in July 2012 with a hotline call. “The report indicated that four boys between the ages of 8 and 17 were compelled to sleep in the same bed with Cripps on numerous occasions,” alleges a probable cause affidavit obtained by PEOPLE.
“When the children would resist,” the allegations in the affidavit continue, “Cripps would become angry with them. One boy in particular engaged in a physical altercation with Cripps over the refused request. Cripps would provide child care while the singe mother(s) would go to work. The boys would often sleep over at Cripps’ residence.”
One alleged victim told investigators Cripps would allegedly “often” solicit him “to participate in the sexual acts between Cripps and the younger boys,” and he recounted sexual abuse he allegedly witnessed by Cripps on boys approximately 7 and 8 years old “on numerous occasions,” according to the affidavit.
The alleged victim, who is now between the ages of 18 and 25, allegedly said he was subjected repeatedly to sex between the ages of 12 to 16 from late 2008 to 2011.
“As he became older, he tried to stay away from Cripps and also noticed that Cripps would bring other younger boys to the house, take them to his bedroom and then lock the door,” the allegations in the court documents state. The alleged victim further told investigators that “Cripps would frequently sleep with a boy in his bed when they stayed overnight.”
Cripps was charged with multiple counts including indecent assault on a person younger than 13; involuntary deviate sexual intercourse; corruption of minors; and endangering the welfare of children. He is being held on $250,000 bail, although the prosecutor said Cripps would not be released because he is also in violation of parole after serving prison time on a prior conviction for burglary.
Whelan said he believed the current allegations and charges were “the tip of the iceberg.”
A 29-year-old man accused of sexually assaulting a child remained in the Cooke County Jail on Tuesday.
Belva McClinton, a spokeswoman for Gainesville police, said Houghton is accused of sexually abusing a female child, who was around 5-6 years of age, at the time.
The reported sexual abuse occurred between December 2007 and February 2008, she said via email. “The child was the daughter of an acquaintance, and the offenses occurred in the city limits of Gainesville,” McClinton said.
Warrants for Houghton’s arrest were issued after his indictment, according to court records. Cooke County Sheriff Terry Gilbert said Houghton was transferred from the Houston County Jail to the Cooke County Jail.
Bail was set at $125,000.