By Carol Robinson email@example.com
molesting them as teenagers
under pressure over sexual harassment
Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) read a letter from Conyers to his colleagues on the House floor, saying he notified Speaker of the House Paul Ryan (R-Wisconsin) and Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-California) that he was vacating his seat.
"Given the totality of the circumstance of not being afforded the right of due process in conjunction with current health conditions and to preserve my legacy and good name, I am retiring," the letter said, according to AFP.
Arnold Reed, a lawyer for Conyers, told AFP the departure was effective immediately.
Conyers said he was “in the process of putting together my retirement plans.” He reportedly endorsed his son, John Conyers III, to run for his seat in 2018.
“My legacy can’t be compromised or diminished in any way by what we’re going through now,” Conyers said, according to AP. “This too shall pass. My legacy will continue through my children.”
“I’m absolutely going to file for his seat. The work of our congressional district, where I come out of, has to continue,” the younger Conyers said, according to the New York Times. “We have got to have someone who has depth and experience but also historical understanding of what it takes to fight this type of evil in Washington.”
Ian Conyers, a grandson of Conyers’ brother and currently a Michigan state senator, told the New York Times that he also plans to run. The 13th District congressional seat will most likely be filled via special election in the coming months.
Conyers checked into a Detroit hospital last week amid calls from top Democrats to step down, after a report published by BuzzFeed in late November revealed that he had reached a financial settlement with a former staffer who had accused him of sexual misconduct.
The staffer said she was fired for refusing his sexual advances and “blackballed” into accepting a settlement of $27,000 in 2015.
An icon of the civil rights movement, Conyers was first elected to Congress in 1964. His was the sixth-longest congressional tenure in US history.
LITTLE VALLEY — An East Otto man was arraigned Monday in Cattaraugus County Court on felony sex charges.
Jeffrey H. Horn, 53, of East Otto but presently incarcerated in Cattaraugus County Jail, was arraigned on and pleaded not guilty to two counts of first-degree attempted criminal sexual act, class C felonies; two counts of first-degree sexual abuse, class D felonies; and endangering the welfare of a child, a class A misdemeanor.
According to District Attorney Lori Rieman, whose office reported the case among others heard Monday, Horn attempted to engage in sexual conduct with another person by forcible compulsion this past March in East Otto. Horn was arrested on the charges Friday afternoon by the Cattaraugus County Sheriff’s Office.
The case has been adjourned for motions.
RENO, Nev. (KOLO) - A Washoe Valley man has been convicted of multiple counts of sexual assault on a child. He will be sentenced January 30, and he faces life in prison.
Goepner was arrested in October 2016 after an investigation by the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office Crimes Against Persons Unit.
The case began when patrol deputies responded to a report of a sexual assault and met with a 16-year-old victim and several of her family members and friends. The girl reported she had been sexually abused by Goepner since age 8 and that she had recently disclosed that abuse to others.
Based on interviews with the victim and witnesses, as well as evidence collected from Goepner's home, investigators determined Goepner had been sexually assaulting the victim for more than eight years. The Washoe County District Attorney's Office says Goepner forced the girl to perform sexual acts on multiple occasions and threatened her so she wouldn't tell.
Goepner was also convicted of having groped a second female victim. The investigation also revealed Goepner was reported to have repeatedly sexually assaulted another child in the late 1980s, but he was unable to be prosecuted because the crimes were reported after the statute of limitations.
The prosecution was coordinated through the Washoe County Child Advocacy Center (CAC) multi-disciplinary team including authorities from the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office, the Washoe County Child Abuse Response and Evaluation team, Washoe County Social Services, and the Washoe County District Attorney’s Office.
The DA's office says the CAC's mission is to safeguard the health and safety of children in our community who are victims of abuse through a neutral, child-centered environment. To date, more than 1200 forensic interviews of children have been conducted. Since opening, more than 90 life sentences have been imposed on sexual and physical abusers of children.
And that's just one county! Good grief!
FREEPORT, Ill. (WIFR) - A 44-year-old man is arrested in connection with a sexual abuse case in Freeport.
Investigators say an arrest warrant was issued for Fisher and he was arrested at home without incident.
Fisher was arrested on four counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse, two counts of distribution of harmful material and one count of unlawful grooming. His bond has been set at $600,000.
Fisher is innocent until proven guilty.
SAGINAW, MI -- A trial was ordered for the married couple accused of sexually abusing a minor and forcing the girl to eat half a pack of cigarettes and smoke the rest.
According to court documents, the sexual and physical abuse took place from November 2014 until October 2016 at a home in Thomas Township.
Kyle Roy also allegedly "made (the girl) strip naked and hit her with a belt, punched her with a fist and choked her," the complaint states.
Both Roys are charged with first-degree criminal sexual conduct, second-degree criminal sexual conduct and third-degree child abuse in that case.
First-degree criminal sexual conduct is punishable by up to life in prison.
In a second case, Kyle Roy is accused of engaging in sexual contact with another minor. That abuse allegedly took place from May through December 2014 in Thomas Township.
He is charged with two counts of second-degree criminal sexual conduct in that case.
ORANGE CITY, Iowa | A former teacher charged (6th story on link) with having sexual contact with more than a dozen children has been released from custody.
Van Dam, 36, of Sioux Center, Iowa, has pleaded not guilty in Sioux County District Court to 146 charges related to sexual contact with at least 13 children between August 2014 and this past October. He is scheduled to stand trial March 6.
As part of his bond release, Van Dam promises to appear for future court hearings.
District Judge Patrick Tott on Monday had continued Van Dam's bond at $150,000. As part of the order, Tott said that if Van Dam bonded out of jail he must wear an electronic monitoring device on his ankle and be supervised by the Department of Correctional Services.
Other conditions of release include:
-- He must not go within 100 yards of a child care or educational facility.
-- He may have no contact with any child under age 15 except for his own children or the children of family members if supervised by another adult.
-- He may not leave Iowa without permission of his pretrial supervision officer. He may travel to Spirit Lake, Iowa, to meet with his attorney, Edward Bjornstad.
Van Dam was arrested Oct. 23 after a complaint was filed against him for inappropriate contact with a student. Administrators at Sioux Center Christian School removed Van Dam, who taught fifth grade, from the school after the complaint was filed. As Sioux Center police investigated the complaint, they filed additional charges related to incidents with other children, and Van Dam was fired.
Police have said the incidents took place at various locations, including the school, where Van Dam taught for nine years. Court documents and police have not revealed the gender of the alleged victims.
Some or all of the children were under age 12 or 13. Van Dam is accused of sexually abusing or having inappropriate contact with some of the children on at least 24 separate occasions over several months.
Van Dam is accused of having children fully or partially undress in front of him, permitting children to touch his genitals and exposing himself to some of the children.
TBI began an investigation into Byrd's activities Aug. 10. Their findings showed that Byrd was engaging in inappropriate sexual relations with a child.
Byrd was arrested without incident Tuesday and was booked into Haywood County jail on a $500,000 bond.
Roney Lee McClintock, 49, has pleaded guilty to two counts of first-degree sexual abuse of a minor. The plea comes amid a bargaining process with prosecutors.
McClintock allegedly admitted to performing, and receiving, oral sex with a 9-year-old girl throughout 2011. If convicted on all charges, McClintock is facing 50 to 100 years in prison.