By Cait Kelly For Daily Mail Australia
UPI -- The Vatican arrested one of its diplomats Saturday on suspicion of violating laws against child pornography.
Monsignor Carlo Alberto Capella, who has been under investigation for child pornography possession and distribution, had recently served at the Holy See's embassy in Washington. He is being held in a cell in the gendarmerie's barracks, according to a statement from the Vatican.
Last September the Vatican announced that it had recalled Capella, who was not publicly named at the time while officials investigated in the case. The Vatican was informed Aug. 21 by the U.S. State Department about the case.
Capella also had a warrant for his arrest in Canada (2nd story on link), issued by police in Windsor, Ontario, for allegedly uploading child pornography to a social network in 2016.
According to the 2013 law under which he was arrested, if found guilty Capella could receive "one to five years imprisonment and a fine from $3,000 to $61,000. The penalties could increase if "a considerable quantity of pornographic material is involved," according to the Vatican.
Capella was ordained a priest in Milan in 1993. He entered the diplomatic corps in 2004 and has previously worked as a diplomat in Hong Kong and as the Holy See's liaison to Italy.
If the case goes to trial, it would be the first criminal trial for child pornography in Vatican City.
A former archbishop and the Holy See's former ambassador to the Dominican Republic, Jozef Wesolowski, died in 2015 while awaiting his Vatican trial for sexual abuse of minors and possession of child pornography.
UPI -- An Australian woman who was raped by a U.S. sailor in Japan asked Japanese officials on Thursday to amend an agreement it has with the U.S. military that some say make it difficult to prosecute American military personnel for crimes against civilians.
Article 16 of the SOFA says U.S. military personnel must "respect" the laws of Japan. And Fisher says that word allows some U.S. military personnel to evade responsibility for crimes because Japanese officials told her they are only required to "respect the laws of Japan, not obey them."
Fisher asked that "respect" be changed to "obey."
"[Tomorrow] will mark 16 years that I have been trying to change one part of Article 16 of the SOFA ... to change just one word," Fisher said, the Japan Times reported.
Fisher unleashed a scroll of laminated paper several feet long that listed rape and murder cases allegedly committed by U.S. military personnel since the 1940s.
Fisher's ordeal goes back to 2002, when she accused Bloke Deans, a U.S. sailor at the time, of rape. Deans was sent back to the United States after the accusation and Japanese prosecutors never filed criminal charges.
But Fisher won a civil court case in Japan in 2004 and was paid 3 million yen from a Japanese Ministry of Defense fund for victims of crimes committed by U.S. military personnel.
In 2012, she filed a lawsuit in Milwaukee, where Deans was living, to claim the damages she won in Japanese court - but only asked for a symbolic $1 settlement.
At the news conference in Tokyo, Fisher acknowledged that there is much disagreement in Japan over whether the country should continue to allow the United States to maintain military bases there. But she urged for Japan to take a tougher stance against the U.S. military personnel accused of crimes.
"This has been happening on the island of Okinawa for over 70 years," she said. "Imagine if someone comes into your house and starts raping and murdering your family. Are you going to offer them another cup of tea? Or are you going to ask them to leave?"
Over 5,000 child victims of sexual offences await justice in the Indian state of Kerala with their cases pending in various courts.
According to official data, as of January 31, 2018, 5,376 cases under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act are pending in courts in Kerala. Most cases take around two years to be disposed of — double the period specified in the Act, according to judicial sources.
Thiruvananthapuram topped the list with 779 pending cases, followed by Thrissur (595 cases) and Manjeri (529 cases). While the Kollam court had 419 cases pending on the date, Palakkad had 410 cases followed by Kottayam (390 cases). The lowest pendency was in Pathanamthitta (216 cases). A three-member Bench of the Supreme Court had recently asked the Registrars General of all High Courts to provide the district-wise pendency of such cases.
No separate courts
The absence of exclusive courts to try the cases and delay in getting forensic reports are considered factors that delay justice to the child victims, a judicial officer hearing the cases said. Currently, the special courts for trying offences against women and children double up as POCSO courts in the State.
What the Act says
The delay in obtaining expert reports from forensic labs, and the large number of witnesses to be examined in the cases often defeat the time limits set by the Act, the officer said, In most cases, around 25 witnesses will have to be examined. The labs take at least two years to provide the reports.
Sources in the higher judiciary said there had been an increase in the number of reported POCSO cases in the State.
Of course there has, and there will continue to be for a long time to come. POCSO was a good first step, but it was just a first step. So much more needs to be done just to slow down the increase in absurdly high levels of child sexual abuse in India.
Nepal Police says its personnel have recently arrested a Canadian national on the charge of his involvement in paedophilia.
Police claim he is one of the high-profile paedophilia suspects.
He was a founder of Street Kids International. It has been found that he also worked for an anti-child labour project of the United Nations as an advisor, and for the UN Habitat as a representative for Afghanistan.
He also established another NGO named Himalayan Community Foundation.
Nepal Police has been claiming that children from low economic status and those working on the streets fall an easy prey to foreign paedophiles.
Law enforcers and activists both agree that weak regulation and even weaker implementation should be blamed for increasing cases of paedophilia.
The Tebo Police have received 20 child abuse cases in the regency this year, raising their concerns over unchecked social media access among children.
“Most of the cases were sexual abuse,” Chief Brig. Diansyah, head of the Tebo Police's women and children protection unit, said Sunday.
The Tebo Police said the cases were spread across 12 districts in Tebo Tinggi regency, but most of them happened in Rimbo Bujang, Rimbo Ilir, Rimbo Ulu, Tebo Ulu and VII Koto.
The police organized meetings with residents of VII Koto and Tebo Ulu districts to cooperate in keeping the crime in check. Diansyah said the police identified several causes of such crimes. “Mostly, they are caused by social media influence, lack of supervision from parents and financial troubles,” he said. Diansyah said children were exposed to inappropriate adult content spread through social media.
“Most of the perpetrators fall within the low-income bracket,” he said.
He said that in 30 percent of the cases, there was a close relationship between the victim and the perpetrator, indicating an urgent need for parents to supervise their children more strictly to protect them from becoming a victim.
The Criminal Bar Association has criticised the police's handling of false indecent assault allegations against a teacher and warned of the "catastrophic" consequences that can follow.
Sexual abuse allegations are easily made up but can have a "catastrophic" effect on those falsely accused, the association warns.
The organisation has waded into the controversy over a teacher who was cleared of abuse after school children were found to have lied.
It follows the case of a teacher who was acquitted of seven indecent assault charges laid by police after his pupils lied and made false claims against him. The teacher had previously yelled and sworn at them in class.
Criminal Bar Association president Len Andersen said defence lawyers did not have the resources of the Crown and there was a real risk of a miscarriage of justice where, for example, potential eye witnesses were not interviewed as part of the initial investigation.
"Defence lawyers have expressed concern that the normal rule of investigation of offences does not seem to apply where allegations are of a sexual nature and, on the contrary, the complainant's accounts are not challenged and there seems to be a widespread assumption that such complainants are always telling the truth with little or no further investigation required," Andersen said.
"While it is appropriate that victims are properly supported, there can be no excuse for failing to carryout a proper investigation to determine whether there is substance to any allegation that may result in a prosecution. Sexual abuse allegations are easily made and the effects of an allegation are catastrophic on the person who is accused whatever the final verdict."
Andersen said it was clear the system did not work for the teacher charged who had to wait 12 months with charges hanging over his neck.
"The falsely charged teacher's year from hell is a normal experience that any person would face who was charged with a sexual offence. If he or she is successful in obtaining bail then the bail terms are likely to significantly affect his or her life and may even prevent employment," he said.
"Where there is a child making the allegation, child witness interviewers facilitate the giving of statements on video and it is not their role to challenge the child or his or her recollection.
"This emphasises the importance of the Police carrying out a proper investigation including a proper examination by the Police of the motives and accounts of complainants instead of uncritically accepting their word that a sexual assault has occurred where the assault is denied by the defendant."
After a six-day trial in the Auckland District Court the jury took less than an hour to return not guilty verdicts on all seven charges of indecent assault last month.
The teacher, who was cleared of indecently assaulting three schoolgirls, told the Herald he felt let down by the system as his life went into "total meltdown".
The teacher may never return to a classroom after his "year of hell".
"I don't think I could ever trust the system of education, BOT governance, school hierarchical support or the devious nature of some children to go back into a classroom," he said.
He cannot be named under law, but told the Herald that while the trial played out he had no faith in the outcome until he heard the last not guilty verdict read out in court.
School teachers are probably the most vulnerable demographic to false accusations of child sex abuse. There should probably be a higher expectation of corroboration before charging a teacher. Middle and High School girls are capable of hatching some pretty heinous plots. But there should also be a higher degree of punishment for those who are guilty.
Perhaps the best defense against such plots is to have the respect of your students. Yelling and swearing at them is not an approved method of gaining their respect. If you can't gain that respect, than you might be in the wrong job.
Nine men who were arrested in a major Derby child abuse investigation have been released on police bail.
Officers raided homes in Loudon Street, Normanton, and Walbrook Road, in Pear Tree, and arrested nine men aged between 20 and 47.
The men, eight who are from Derby and one from out of the county, were questioned over the weekend and have now been bailed pending further inquiries.
Detective Inspector Graham Prince, who is leading the operation, said: “The arrests were made as part of an ongoing investigation into allegations of child sexual exploitation.
“That operation is in its very early stages and police have acted swiftly on information in order to safeguard any alleged victims involved. I would like to reassure people that specialist detectives will be continuing to thoroughly investigate the circumstances around the allegations.
“Meanwhile we will still have an increased number of officers out in the area. I would encourage people to go up and have a chat with them if they have any concerns about issues in their neighbourhood.”
Officers from Derbyshire police are still at Loudon Street and the cordon is still in place. In Loudon Street, the door at the property the raid took place at has now been boarded up, after officers gained entry using force.
If anybody has any information that could help the police investigation they are asked to call 101 or the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
THE surviving son of twisted child-killer Mick Philpott claims his stepmum sexually abused him at 14 - just months before she helped her depraved husband torch the house they shared with six kids.
Brave Mikey Philpott, now 20, says Mairead, 36, had sex with him while he was in his school uniform.
He told the Sunday Mirror how he remains haunted by the abuse - and still believes that his father is innocent.
He said: "I was still in my school uniform. Then she starting kissing me, then one thing led to another. We had sex on the bed. I knew what was happening was wrong."
"I knew she was the mother of my siblings but she was never a mother figure to me. I was a 14-year-old boy, my hormones took over."
They burned down their three-bed house in Derby along with pal Paul Mosley, 47, to try and get a bigger council house.
But it backfired when their house was engulfed by flames - trapping Duwayne, 13, Jade, ten, John, nine, Jack, seven, Jesse, six, and five-year-old Jayden upstairs.
The trio were found guilty of manslaughter with Mick being handed a life-term with a minimum 15 years in April 2013.
Mikey says that he is waiving his right to anonymity and speaking out due to Mairead's claims she was controlled by husband Mick — who Mikey claims is innocent.
A 64-year-old man has been jailed for 18 years for sexually abusing three young boys he was fostering.
Leslie Bryan, from Telford, was convicted of 13 offences of historic sexual abuse involving the boys at a time when he and his then wife were looking after them in Clacton, Essex.
Recorder Simon Mayo QC, sitting at Chelmsford Crown Court, said: “These were children you had been trusted to care for but you grossly abused that trust by committing sexual offences against them for your own perverted sexual gratification.”
The judge said Bryan had continued and escalated his abusive behaviour against the boys and the most serious today would be classed as rape. He added: “That statement alone is sufficient to indicate the gravity of your offending.”
To mark the seriousness, the judge imposed consecutive sentences of 11 years and seven years on two of the convictions.
Bryan, of Burton Close, Dawley, will serve half behind bars and the remainder on licence.
The court had heard that Bryan was in his 20s at the time of the offences and had preyed on vulnerable boys. The persistent abuse continued for years.
He was then married to a woman 30 years older than him and living in Clacton. After he and his wife separated Bryan moved back to the Midlands.
The judge read passages from the three victims’ impact statements. One wrote: “The mental scars run deep. If not for my wonderful wife I would have ended my life some years ago.”
He spoke of how he left a suicide note detailing Bryan’s abuse. He wrote: “What Bryan did took away my childhood and will have a lasting impact on myself and my family. Now the truth has finally come out I hope to move forward with my life but I can never forget what he did.”
The third victim wrote: “For over 30 years I had to live with the psychological effects of the abuse.”
Recorder Mayo said Bryan would have to sign the sex offenders’ register for life. He also imposed a sexual harm prevention order for 18 years banning him from contacting children.
Bryan was convicted of a series of serious sex offences including four charges of indecent assault and one of indecency with a child.