A man found with 17,000 objectionable images who went on to abuse a young girl has been jailed for three and a half years.
He also pleaded guilty to possessing a cannabis pipe and a cannabis utensil, and two charges of possessing a knife.
Bliss's lawyer Paul Chambers told Judge Lance Rowe Bliss had a great deal of self-loathing as a result of the offending and had been attending counselling.
Lots of other people loath him too, including me. He has been attending counselling since when? Since he got caught?
Chambers said Bliss was remorseful and was "a gentleman that was going through an extraordinarily drug-addled time" when he offended.
He said Bliss's parents had made a late offer of reparation of $2000 to the parents of Bliss' victims.
Good grief! Is this Islam where you can buy a victim's parents off from pressing charges?
Crown prosecutor Clayton Walker said Bliss's offending was not victimless and the victimisation continued with the circulation of the images, which created demand for more images and further abuse of children.
Walker said Bliss' offending against a young girl represented his progression to creating a victim of his own.
Sin is progressive! This is another great example of this principal.
The victim's mother provided a statement that showed the extent of the damage caused by the offending, which he described as "every parent's nightmare".
Walker said the issue of reparation had not been discussed with the victim's family and he could not obtain their views on that.
On May 7 last year Bliss approached a nine-year-old boy and his 11-year-old sister as they played outside their Hastings home.
He followed them onto a school carpark and offered the girl money if she pulled down her pants. She refused but ultimately he took photographs of her lower body. He gave her money then left.
A few weeks later police found Bliss in his car parked in a kindergarten car park. They recovered two knives and drug utensils and also seized a latex sex doll, a laptop and an iPhone fitting the description of that used to photograph the girl.
Analysis of the devices revealed 17,137 photographs and videos depicting objectionable child exploitation material and 11 photos of the Hastings girl. It also revealed that he had shared five of these publication via Skype.
Judge Rowe noted that 200 of the images were among the most seriously objectionable and he noted the government's intention to denounce such offending in the strongest possible terms.
Bliss was prepared to perpetuate the abuse of children by sharing the images, Rowe said, and Bliss had gone on to take images of his own "in a highly predatory way".
He said Bliss' offending against the girl had devastated her family and "the victim impact in this case is significant".
He accepted that Bliss was sorry for what he had done, and sentenced him to three and a half years jail.
They face deportation for posing a high risk of causing harm.
The Operation Sanctuary inquiry has so far led to 90 convictions resulting in gang members receiving jail sentences totalling more than 400 years.
Police have identified 640 victims of whom 166 are engaged with counselling and support services.
Officers found eight separate crime gangs running child sex rings across the city.
And almost every single one of them is Pakistani.
A police and crime panel report
All 18 members of one were jailed after girls as young as 14 were plied with booze and drugs and forced to have sex with multiple partners.
Flats are being rented online to stage drug-fuelled “pop-up parties” where children are abused.
Police have issued 220 child abduction notices warning suspects still at large they will be arrested if they approach youngsters.
Police said 60 taxi drivers suspected of “sexual exploitation” had been suspended.
Newcastle Council also said 29 taxi licences had been suspended while two have been revoked, while 10 court orders have been issued to stop slavery and trafficking.
Officers have also raided 60 premises and seized illegal booze and cigarettes worth £30,000, which were used to lure girls.
A police and crime panel report into the operation said: “It is difficult to overstate the positive impact of Sanctuary.”
But it said sex gangs were still operating in the area.
The report said: “Social media platforms assist perpetrators to contact and groom victims. Northumbria Police and the safeguarding partnership recognise the signs and indicators of sexual exploitation.”
A 58-year-old man arrested on child abuse charges in March has been found dead at Heathcote.
ABC reported the man was discovered at a property on Monday morning and his death is not being treated as suspicious.
The man was due to be charged on summons after being arrested during police raids targeting child abuse material.
Victoria Police's Professional Standards Command has been notified because of his recent police involvement, and a report will be prepared for the coroner.
Victoria Police and the Australian Federal Police executed warrants at 20 properties across Victoria late last month.
As a result, 20 people were arrested for accessing online child abuse materials.
The charges for the operation include possess child exploitation material, access child exploitation material, transmit child exploitation material and use a carriage service for child pornography.
A number of items were seized from the properties including computers, tablets, mobile phones, child sex dolls, illegal fireworks, a samurai sword, and drugs (including cannabis and GHB).
Police also conducted checks to see if any children were at risk or identified as victims of sexual abuse due to their connection with those arrested or the properties raided during the operation.
Western Sydney boys' home
A man has been charged with historic child sex offences dating back to the 1960s.
The 74-year-old former youth worker was today charged with nine offences, including buggery, indecent assault of a male, and soliciting a male to commit an indecent act.
Police said the charges related to six alleged victims.
The man was arrested at a Basin View home on the New South Wales South Coast early this morning, before being taken to Nowra Police Station for further questioning.
Police from Strike Force Eckersley have been investigating complaints about the alleged sexual assault of children at a Western Sydney boys' home that were referred by the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.
Twenty years of alleged offences
Some victims have reported having their penis cut-off.
Strike Force Eckersley has been investigating complaints related to the alleged abuse at the Daruk school since 2016.
The South Coast man was granted strict conditional bail and will appear in Nowra Local Court on Wednesday.
The arrest is one of three relating to the same boys' home since the strike force was established. Police are continuing their inquiries into the matter.
A report into the alleged rape of a two-year-old girl in the Northern Territory town of Tennant Creek has found harm was a foreseeable risk that could have been managed or mitigated.
The NT Children's Commissioner report found there had been 35 domestic violence incidents recorded against the parents, including eight aggravated assault convictions for one of them, and more than 150 recorded interactions with police.
The toddler and her four siblings had been the subject of 16 years' of investigations into physical and sexual abuse and neglect, in the lead up to the alleged rape.
The two-year-old girl and one of her siblings were removed from their mother's care by the Department of Child Protection South Australia on April 5.
A 24-year-old man was charged with sexual assault.
The toddler suffered "significant and painful" injuries during the alleged sexual assault on February 15 and required a blood transfusion, the independent report tabled in Parliament on Wednesday night found.
"Prior to the birth of C1 [the child], Territory Families had available to it an abundance of evidence relating to the substantial neglect and numerous harms suffered by all of her older siblings," the report noted.
"This included the fact that they themselves sought safety and regularly self-placed with different extended family to avoid return to the care of P1 [a parent]."
The reported stated: "All possible harm types have been identified for these children", including exposure to domestic violence and parental substance abuse, lack of education, neglect, emotional harm, physical harm and sexual abuse.
During the time 52 child protection notifications had been recorded, the Northern Territory had gone through two major child protection reports, the royal commission into youth detention and child protection and the federal intervention.
"This investigation has identified that agencies and service providers continue to work in silos to the detriment of the safety and wellbeing of children," the report said.
In February, Territory Families reported "no specific concerns that came to Territory Families about particular harm to this child of a sexual nature".
System failures led to 'inevitable trauma'
The Children's Commissioner review found children protection services "failed" the girl and there were "critical intervention points" where the system failed the child and her siblings.
"This appears to be a result of inadequate and ad-hoc provision of services and support, the failure to appropriately assess cumulative harm, a culture of reporting and referrals with no or limited evidence of meaningful actions or outcomes," the report stated.
"Interventions were not commensurate to the significant needs of the children based on the level of trauma experienced."
It concluded that if the system failures that led to the "tragic and inevitable trauma" experienced by the child were not addressed urgently, "it is likely that other children will be subjected to, and suffer from, similar traumatic experiences which will continue to affect them throughout their lives."
The report made 14 recommendations specific to Territory Families, NT Police and the Northern Territory Government, including the development of a strategy to address the current backlog of overdue investigations, and an ongoing review of child protection policy and practice.
Territory Families 'missed warning signs and ignored risks'
The case thrust the Northern Territory's handling of child protection cases into the national spotlight.
In March, an internal review undertaken by the Northern Territory Government also concluded child protection services lacked oversight and coordination in its handling of the case. In response to the Children's Commissioner's report, Territory Families Minister Dale Wakefield conceded reform was needed.
"This report outlines an awful history of unsound decisions and failures to observe policies and procedures by Northern Territory child protection agencies over a 16-year period up until early 2016," she said.
"From 2011 to the end of 2016, there were many points at which the relevant agency missed warning signs and ignored risks.
Ms Wakefield said the Government had accepted all 14 recommendations, and that work was underway to overhaul the sector, including a $66.9 million pledge to develop a new platform to manage child protection cases, a "thorough review" of the concerns for the wellbeing of children in care policy, and the development of a quality assurance framework for out-of-home care.
Territory Families also accepted the report's recommendations, but proposed the conclusion be amended because "there was not sufficient evidence before the commissioner to draw this finding".
The report said the Children's Commissioner originally found "it was foreseeable that C1 [the child] was at risk of sexual assault and that risk could have been managed or mitigated". But Territory Families refuted the finding and it was amended in the final report to "it was foreseeable that C1 was at risk of harm and that risk could have been managed or mitigated".
In a response to the Children's Commissioner, NT Police said it would meet with Territory Families to ensure that the policy, procedure and tools used related to notifications and investigations were "appropriate and rigorous".