A Toronto man, 55, is charged with eight offences in an ongoing child sexual abuse investigation, police say.
The accused was arrested on Tuesday after child exploitation investigators obtained a search warrant in the York area, near Dufferin Street and Eglinton Avenue West.
Police allege in 2012 the man was working at Toronto Western Hospital where he met a woman and befriended her child.
He reportedly showed pornography to the child, sexually assaulted the victim and had inappropriate communications with the child, according to a news release Thursday.
The accused has been charged with invitation to sexual touching, sexual interference, sexual assault, making sexually explicit material available to a child, luring a child under 18, attempting to make child pornography, making child pornography and breach of prohibition order.
He is scheduled to appear in a Toronto courtroom on Monday.
A children's charity has described the sexual abuse of children by a teacher at an old Ripon school as "every parent's worst nightmare".
An NSPCC spokesperson said: “This was every parent’s worst nightmare; an awful betrayal of trust in which Atkinson used his position to abuse his young victims for his own twisted gratification."
“The vulnerable boys this sick predator claimed to be helping have had their childhoods ruined and abuse such as this can last a lifetime in its horrifying impact. “We hope all Atkinson’s victims receive the support they need to overcome their awful childhood ordeals in settings that should have been safe and secure havens.”
Atkinson, now of Brompton on Regis, Somerset, was also placed on the sex offenders register for life and issued with a sexual harm prevention order.
Last year another teacher at the school was jailed for historic offences dating back to the 1970s. Robin Eric Davidson, 81, from Worcester, was jailed for two years after admitting four charges of indecent assault on two boys under 14.
Freiburg - A mother who allegedly sold her young son for sex has been arrested along with six other suspects in a case being described as the most serious child sex abuse investigation in the history of Baden-Württemberg.
Investigators in several European countries have arrested eight suspects following the alleged rape of a nine-year-old. The investigation will focus on the 47-year-old mother of the boy and her 37-year-old partner, the public prosecutor's office in Freiburg announced on Thursday. Both lived near Freiburg. They are said to have sexually abused the child together and made him available to other men for rape in exchange for money.
This is the most serious case of sexual abuse of a child ever handled by the State Criminal Police Office of Baden-Württemberg, a spokesman for the authority said. The dimensions of the crime go beyond any case that has previously been investigated in the state, he added.
The boy was repeatedly abused and raped by several perpetrators at several crime scenes in and around Freiburg. There are other victims besides the boy. Among them is a girl who had been sexually abused by her own father. He has also been arrested.
Police reportedly launched the investigation last September following an anonymous tip-off. Among the suspects is a 49-year-old Bundeswehr soldier, who was arrested in his barracks in the French region of Alsace.
The other men in custody were between 32 and 43 years old. According to the investigators, they come from near Freiburg, Schleswig-Holstein, Switzerland and Spain. Some of them have previous convictions for similar offences. According to sources, some of the suspects have cooperated with investigators. The public prosecutor's office has not given any further details.
Freiburg is where an EU officials 17 y/o daughter was raped and murdered by a migrant who had already been convicted of raping and murdering a girl in Greece.
Three men who sexually exploited a 14-year-old girl by plying her with drugs and forcing her to work as a prostitute have been jailed for a total of 18 years.
Some reports spell McNally - McInally
Jake Cairns, 21, Jack McNally, 21 and Brandon Sharples, 20, were sentenced at Birmingham Crown Court today (11 January) after being found guilty of a number of offences following a trial.
Cairns began to exploit the victim after the pair struck up a friendship while he supplied her with drugs. The victim was reported missing by her family on 8 June 2015 and Cairns offered her a place to stay at a property in Radford, Coventry.
Over the next two days he gave the girl drugs and then encouraged her to work as a prostitute to repay her debt. In the presence of McNally and Sharples, Cairns made the victim pose naked for photos which were then uploaded onto a social media site advertising her as an escort.
For three days men visited the property and paid for sex with the victim.
On 13 June 2015, police raided the house and rescued the victim. McNally and Sharples were at the house when the police attended and they were arrested. Cairns was arrested later.
The trio were convicted following a two-week trial at Warwick Crown Court.
Alex Warren for the Crown Prosecution Service’s Complex Casework Unit said: “This case involved the most horrendous exploitation of a vulnerable young girl by the defendants. She was treated as little more than a commodity to be utilised for their financial gain."
“The prosecution was able to outline the role that each defendant played in her abuse and they must now face the consequences of their actions.
“I would like to pay tribute to the victim’s courage and her support in helping to bring these three men to justice.”
Jake Cairns (26/10/1996) was found guilty of arranging or facilitating the sexual exploitation of a child, facilitating the sexual exploitation of a child and distributing indecent photographs of a child. He was sentenced to eight years' imprisonment, handed a ten-year sexual harm prevention order and ordered to sign on to the sex offenders register for life.
Jack McNally (08/10/1996) was found guilty of facilitating the sexual exploitation of a child and sentenced to five years' imprisonment, handed a ten-year sexual harm prevention order and ordered to sign on to the sex offenders register for life.
Brandon Sharples (24/01/1997) was found guilty of facilitating the sexual exploitation of a child and sentenced to five years' imprisonment, handed a ten-year sexual harm prevention order and ordered to sign on to the sex offenders register for life.
Alex Warren is Senior Crown Prosecutor with the West Midlands Crown Prosecution Service’s Complex Casework Unit.