Swedish broadcaster SVT reviewed all the 843 guilty verdicts in cases involving rape or attempted rape that occurred in the country since 2013 as part of its research.
Its journalists revealed that 58 percent of those convicted were born outside the country, while almost 40 percent were migrants from the Middle East and Africa.
Should we read into it that those from the Middle East and Africa are Muslims?
Besides, over eight out of 10 men convicted of rape in cases where the perpetrator was unknown to the victim were born abroad, according to STV.
Asylum seekers from Afghanistan topped the chart of foreigners sentenced for rape crimes, as 45 of the 843 migrants from the country were convicted in Sweden.
The sexual assault convicts were also described as people with a low level of education, a third of whom had a pre-existing criminal history. According to the broadcaster, many of the perpetrators were under the influence of drugs or alcohol when they raped or attempted to rape their victims.
Since the peak of the migrant crisis in 2015 when Sweden took in around 160,000 asylum seekers, crime associated with the new arrivals and their inability to accept European values have been a hot topic in the country.
Hot topic, but not so much in the media which has been largely ignoring the desperate plight of young Swedish girls being raped and abused by Muslim migrants who see them all as prostitutes, because they are not Muslim.
Following the release of the report, the anti-migrant Sweden Democrats Party said that foreigners guilty of rape should be swiftly deported. The party is currently polling at 19 percent, according to Ipsos, and is looking to record its best-ever result in the forthcoming election on September 9.
However, SVT pointed out that no conclusions could be made on the real scale of involvement of migrants in sexual assault, as the conviction rate in relation to rape in the country remains very low.
The survey still raises questions on the Sweden's ability to integrate immigrants.
No. I think it answers a lot of those questions! The answer is that Sweden's ability to integrate Muslims is abysmal, like every other country that has tried.
Eleven nuns were among the 12 people who were arrested and charged on Thursday for years of alleged physical and sexual abuse against children at a Catholic orphanage in Scotland.
“Twelve people, 11 women and one man, ages ranging from 62 to 85 years, have been arrested and charged in connection with the non-recent abuse of children. All are subject of reports to (the) Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal. A further four individuals will be reported today. Inquiries are continuing, it would be inappropriate to comment further,” a spokesperson from Police Scotland, the national police force of Scotland, said, according to The Guardian.
Nuns and lay staff who worked at the orphanage allegedly humiliated children for bedwetting, did not feed them, repeatedly beat them, and verbally and sexually abused them, according to those who lived there.
“The order is deeply troubled by each of these failings. As Daughters of Charity our values are totally against any form of abuse and thus we offer our most sincere and heartfelt apology to anyone who suffered under any form of abuse in our care,” Gregor Rolfe, a lawyer for the Daughters of Charity told Lady Smith, a high court judge and chair of the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry, last year, reported The Guardian.
A mass grave filled with the bodies of at least 400 children was discovered close to the orphanage in 2003. Records show that the majority of the children died from tuberculosis, pneumonia, and pleurisy and that one-third of the children were under the age of five.
“Investigating child abuse offenses is highly complex and every care is taken to ensure that inquiries are proportionate, appropriate and that victims’ needs are central to our investigations,” said Detective Chief Inspector Sarah Taylor, according to Sky News.
Marie Peachy, who lived with her older brother and younger sister for five years in the orphanage, told the BBC that she will never forget what she saw there.
“It could be something stupid, then you’re straight back to Smyllum, back to being a scared little girl sometimes. I’m in my 50s now and I still feel scared,” Peachy told the BBC.
James Rennie, also known as James Black, was yesterday sentenced at Dundee Sheriff Court to 42 months in prison.
The 72-year-old, who lived in Edinburgh, has also been registered indefinitely as a sex offender.
The offences took place in the Tayport area between 1977 and 1981, and were reported to police in 2016.
Rennie was found guilty at Dundee Sheriff Court on July 13 2018.
Detective Constable Kenny Watt of Fife’s Public Protection Unit said: “Rennie’s conviction is due to the courage and strength of the victims in coming forward, and I hope that a prison sentence has helped to give them some sense of closure.
“Time is no barrier to reporting sexual crimes. I would encourage any members of the public who may have information about anyone responsible for such offences to contact Police Scotland on 101, or report this anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”
The Calgary man convicted of brutally sexually abusing his young daughter may have been the victim of jailhouse vigilante justice, his lawyer said Wednesday.
Defence counsel Alias Sanders said her client, who can’t be named to protect his victim’s identity, has been assaulted three times while on remand.
But Crown prosecutor Rosalind Greenwood said there’s nothing to indicate the attacks are related to the crimes for which the man has been convicted.
“There’s no evidence before the court that that is the case,” Greenwood told Court of Queen’s Bench Justice Bruce Millar. “It is equally possible (the offender) isn’t getting along with the other inmates . . . maybe he’s beaking off.”
But Sanders said regardless of the motivation for the attacks, two in the Calgary Remand Centre and one in Medicine Hat, the offender should get enhanced credit off his sentence for the conditions he’s had to endure.
“There were three incidents where (he) was beaten up by other remand inmates,” said Sanders, noting charges have been laid in all three attacks. “Whether it’s the nature of the charges or whether he’s not fitting in, my submission is it ought not to make much difference.”
Of course. Why should he be rewarded for being a jerk aside from an incestuous pervert?
Daughter was just 2 when it started
The father was convicted in January of eight charges, including incest and unlawful confinement, over his sexual abuse of his daughter between the ages of two and four.
Sanders argued the appropriate sentence for the offender is 10 years minus credit for his remand time, which she says should be over and above the usual 1.5 days for every day served.
Greenwood earlier suggested an 18-year sentence would be appropriate.
Sanders said she will attempt to get a copy of the video of the most recent beating of her client to determine if she wants to call further evidence in his sentencing hearing.
If she does not, Millar will rule Oct. 1, whether his charges should be stayed due to unreasonable delay and, if not, what the appropriate sentence should be.
OMG - You cannot possibly stay these charges and let that lunatic loose. He should not see daylight until his daughter is at least 21. Think about the victim here judge and just sentence him.
Canada has a limited amount of time to convict a person. If it takes too long to get a conviction the charges can be vacated by the judge and the perpetrator will walk free. The victim(s) of his crimes get no justice at all and have to worry about retribution. It doesn't appear that the Canadian government is doing an awful lot to alleviate the shortages of judges that has caused the problem in the first place.
New Zealand Herald
A minister of the Ratana Church has been charged with sexual offending against a child and will go on trial in the next year.
Daniel Brass Raharaha Nehemia, 56, is facing six charges of sexually assaulting at least one boy under the age of 12.
Nehemia has pleaded not guilty to four charges of indecent assault on a boy under 12 and two counts of unlawful sexual connection relating to a boy under 12. He will stand trial in the Auckland District Court in April next year.
Nehemia was ordained as a minister in the Ratana Church in November 2015. The church was founded at Ratana Pa near Whanganui in 1920 by Tahupotiki Wiremu Ratana — a Methodist farmer who was regarded as a visionary and faith healer.
"I have been so blessed to be appointed by our Komiti Matua o te Haahi Ratana, and supported by many others, to become an Apotoro Rehita, a Registered Minister of the Established Ratana Church of New Zealand on this very day," he wrote in 2015.
Detective Senior Sergeant Jason McIntosh from the Waitemata police could not comment on the specifics of the case as it was before the courts. "Police take any complaints of a sexual nature very seriously and we have a team of highly trained staff to deal with these sensitive matters," he said. "We encourage anyone with information they wish to discuss with police, or matters they would like to report, to contact us."
McIntosh said anyone who wishes to speak with police regarding such a complaint should contact Detective Jackson Shewry on 021 191 4085.