A MIDVALE woman has been charged with historical child sex offences, allegedly committed while she was a foster carer.
Police claim the 60-year-old was party to the abuse of a six-year-old boy in 1996 while she was the manager of the Doubleview Group Home.
She faces five counts of sexual penetration of a child under 13 years and two counts of indecently dealing with a child under 13 years and is due to face Perth Magistrates Court today.
If you are or have been a victim of sexual abuse, or if you have information about someone being abused, contact police on 131 444.
Maurice Blackburn, a leading law firm in the area of child sexual abuse in institutions, is currently engaged and investigating claims teachers groomed students for sex at Cromer High, Forest High and Beacon Hill High (closed in 2002), all situated on Sydney's northern beaches.
Explosive allegations up to 20 teachers were sleeping with Year 11 and 12 schoolgirls emerged in true crime podcast, The Teacher's Pet, an investigation by The Australian newspaper.
A Maurice Blackburn spokesperson said its lawyers had "recently been approached by some former students of [Cromer High, Forest High and Beacon Hill High] for possible assistance. Our firm is continuing to investigate these matters in determining any potential recourse for those impacted," the spokesperson exclusively told nine.com.au.
An ex-pupil from Cromer High who featured on the podcast said teachers of that era at the school viewed sex with young students as a "fringe benefit".
Another episode detailed claims a female teacher engaged in group sex with young male students, some who have since battled ongoing mental and emotional trauma.
Maurice Blackburn is known to have considerable experience running matters against various government departments, including education departments. It is too early to estimate the size of any potential compensation claim.
In 2014, Maurice Blackburn won a $494 million payout for victims of the deadly 2009 Black Saturday bushfires. Maurice Blackburn’s institutional abuse specialist Danielle De Paoli will lead any civil action against NSW Department of Education, it is understood.
In 2016 NSW scrapped time limits on civil action by survivors of child sexual abuse, paving the way for historical claims.
Alleged unethical behavior between teachers and students grew out of a bikini and beach culture championed in the 1980s on Sydney's northern beaches, according to the podcast. A group of teachers would regularly mix alongside students at a local northern beaches pub, buying the impressionable, underage teenagers drinks, the podcast claimed.
Any teachers embroiled in allegations should have their career moves through the school system tracked and investigated, Labor’s education spokesman Jihad Dib told nine.com.au last month. NSW Police launched Strike Force Southwood last month to investigate the alleged historical sexual assaults and student-teacher relationships at various high schools on Sydney’s northern beaches.
NSW Minister of Education and the Department of Education have both been contacted by nine.com.au.
Last week it was announced the 14th episode of The Teacher’s Pet would be the final instalment, while police investigated new leads raised by the podcast.
The primary focus of the true crime podcast was Chris Dawson, a former Newtown Jets rugby league star, who began having sex with a 16-year-old student, Joanne Curtis, at Cromer High where he taught PE.
Dawson’s wife, Lynette, mysteriously disappeared from their Sydney home in 1982. Over the course of 1981, Dawson's affair with schoolgirl Ms Curtis caused the painful disintegration of his marriage to Lyn, who was a mother to their two young girls.
After Lyn's disappearance, Dawson left Cromer High, where his affair with Ms Curtis was something of an open secret, and began teaching at nearby Beacon Hill High.
Dawson has never been charged in relation to his wife's disappearance, and maintains his innocence. He has claimed she ran away to live with a religious cult in a remote area of NSW.
Two NSW coronial inquests have concluded Ms Dawson was probably murdered. The mystery of her disappearance remains unsolved.
An Auckland school rugby coach facing more than 80 counts of sexual offending against young boys is on trial at the High Court in Auckland.
Taimo was first charged in 2017 with 50 charges but as his name was made public, more complainants came forward.
He is accused of touching the young boys, sexually violating them or inducing them to touch or perform sexual acts on him.
The alleged offences took place at Taimo's home, in his car, in school sports sheds, in a classroom, and in a park.
Taimo is charged with 24 counts of sexual violation by unlawful sexual connection, 18 counts of an indecent act on a child under 12, 23 counts of indecent acts on a young person under 16, eight counts of indecency with a boy under 12 and 10 counts of indecency with a boy between 12 and 16.
On Monday, Taimo pleaded not guilty to all 83 charges.
Crown prosecutor Jasper Rhodes is set to call 53 witnesses to give evidence in the trial including police officers and professionals.
A jury of six women and six men were impanelled in front of Justice Simon Moore on Monday morning with the trial set down for 10 weeks.
A grand jury document unsealed earlier this week reveals several Pennsylvania-based priests committed assaults in the Greater Toronto Area, while others were sent here for treatment after sexually assaulting children,
The shocking 900-page document, released on Tuesday, determined that Church leaders covered up more than 1,000 cases of child molestation since the 1940s, details hundreds of allegations and incidents in six Catholic dioceses and discusses 300 priests.
Described by Pennsylvania State Attorney General Josh Shapiro as the “largest, most comprehensive report into child sexual abuse within the Catholic Church ever produced in the United States,” the report is difficult reading, filled with examples of abuse and superiors who turned a blind eye to it — and includes incidents that occurred in Canada.
For example, documents say Rev. Robert G. Wolk and multiple other priests “performed sado-masochistic acts” with altar boys. He allegedly assaulted one boy more than 200 times in Canada, Virginia, Florida and Ohio.
Rev. Theodore P. Zabowski allegedly took a child on a trip to Canada, served him alcohol and assaulted him. After the allegations, he was placed on administrative leave.
Rev. Michael Barletta was on a retreat in Toronto and brought two teens with him to a hotel room, where he assaulted them. He initially denied the accusations, but later admitted to them in a letter in 2012. At the time of the incident, Barletta was sent to Aurora-based Southdown Institute, a psychiatric rehabilitation facility that helps clergy deal with mental health issues, addictions and “sexual disorders,” from September 1994 until August 1995 on a “sabbatical.”
That there needs to be such a place for clergy is nothing short of an abomination.
Southdown Institute, which has since moved to Holland Landing, is the largest Toronto connection in the report. At least seven priests accused of sexual abuse were sent to the facility, with at least one returning to work with little repercussion afterward.
Rev. John P. Connor was arrested in 1984 and charged with sexually molesting a 14-year-old. He was sent to Southdown for eight months, where his problems were blamed on alcohol.
The report states: “He acts out sexually with some preference to late adolescent males,” and specifically warned against giving Connor responsibility for adolescents.
He was eventually assigned to minister at a church in Wexford, Pa., where he was encouraged to “educate youth,” according to allegations in the report. Years later, he was sued by an alleged victim for abuse.
In the wake of the explosive revelations, the Vatican issued a statement about the release of the documents, saying “the Holy See condemns unequivocally the sexual abuse of minors.”
Well, maybe not completely unequivocally. Maybe somewhat equivocally! Completely unequivocally would be more believable if the Vatican ordered all the dioceses around the world to stop lobbying for archaic and evil statutes of limitations that revictimize the victims of the thousands of paedophile priests, teachers, monks and laymen.
Issued by Greg Burke, the director of the Holy See press office, it stated: “There are two words that can express the feelings faced with these horrible crimes: shame and sorrow.”
“The abuses described in the report are criminal and morally reprehensible. Those acts were betrayals of trust that robbed survivors of their dignity and their faith. The church must learn hard lessons from its past, and there should be accountability for both abusers and those who permitted abuse to occur.”
“Holy Father understands well how much these crimes can shake the faith and the spirit of believers and reiterates the call to make every effort to create a safe environment for minors and vulnerable adults in the Church and in all of society.”
The report is still the subject of an ongoing legal battle, with redactions shielding the identities of some current and former clergy named in the report while the state Supreme Court weighs their arguments that its wrongful accusations against them violates their constitutional rights.
It also is expected to spark another fight by victim advocates to win changes in state law that lawmakers have resisted.
The majority of the cases in the report are too old to be prosecuted, but charges have been filed against two priests, who are accused of abusing minors.
That's 2, out of 300!
A suspect has been arrested for allegedly making a series of child sex abuse videos and five victims rescued in Spain – less than a week after Australian police shared with investigators worldwide the offending videos they had found.
The quick resolution was possible because of the images of a man’s hands who appeared in the videos, according to a new report from the international police organization INTERPOL.
The suspect’s name wasn’t released immediately, and other investigative details were being withheld for now. But authorities said they found the images of girls ages 5-7 on a website featuring child abuse.
Police in Australia, the Queensland’s Task Force Argos, shared them with other INTERPOL components, including its Crimes Against Children unit, which identified Spain as the possible location where they were made.
Spain’s Central Cybercrime Unit then conducted further analysis on the videos, and pinpointed a neighborhood near Madrid.
“Additional examination of the man’s hands led investigators to believe he may be a mechanic, and the search was narrowed down to workshops in a specific area,” the international police force explained.
“After a canvas sheet similar to one which appeared in videos was spotted at one of the addresses, a surveillance operation was set up. A man who potentially fit the suspect’s profile was observed leaving the premises later that day and followed home.”
A 46-year-old Romanian national was arrested just the next morning on his way to work, and linked to the videos through a tattoo on his arm, the same as one seen in the videos.
“He was arrested on charges of sexual abuse and the production and distribution of child sexual abuse images,” INTERPOL reported.
Police, during a search of his home, found massive amounts of computer equipment including five mini-cams allegedly used for the videos.
The victims all were identified by officers then asking around the neighborhood, authorities said.
The international group’s global communications system and database resource allow comparison of images found in videos, to help link victims, abusers and places.
The organization explains: “By analyzing the digital, visual and audio content of photographs and videos, experts can retrieve clues, identify any overlap in cases and combine their efforts to locate victims of child sexual abuse.
“Enhanced features in Version 4 launched earlier this year include advanced sorting of videos and images, chat functions and interconnection with national child exploitation databases. ICSE version 4 is the culmination of a 30-month project funded with the support of the European Commission.”
To date, more than 14,000 victims have been identified via the International Child Sexual Exploitation database, leading to the arrest of nearly 6,300 offenders worldwide.”