|Leaving before Christmas: Detective Chief Inspector |
Andy Redwood is leaving the Met this month
Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood is leaving the Met this month in a move which has sparked fears the investigation has stalled.
A source close to the inquiry said: “The investigation has gone on for three and a half years now.
“However a lead detective would not typically stand down if they can see a result in the pipeline.
"This does send a certain kind of message.”
|Madeleine the explorer|
A main suspect in the new inquiry was former waiter Euclides Monteiro, who died in an accident, but he has been ruled out.
DCI Nicola Wall, who has served more than 25 years at Scotland Yard, will be put in charge of Operation Grange, which so far has cost £10million.
Madeleine’s parents Kate and Gerry have been informed and today thanked DCI Redwood for his “commitment” to the case.
|Thanks: Kate and Gerry McCann|
Senior Labour MP Michael McCann (?? relation?) said: “There are times when public duty must override personal circumstances, and this is one of them.
"If senior officers were aware of the DCI’s retirement plans, why was he put on to this case in the first place?” Seriously? Do you think senior officers believed that this case would drag on for more than 3.5 years?
Madeleine disappeared from her holiday apartment on May 3, 2007 as her parents dined out with friends.
This appears to be a most unfortunate development as one suspects the new lead detective will not have a lot of time to come up with something to work with. At this point it appears that Operation Grange is no closer to finding Maddy than they were 3.5 years ago. Perhaps a new lead detective will be more successful.