Riley Yates The Morning Call
Charged with molesting two children for years, a suspended emergency room doctor from Bethlehem took a plea bargain Wednesday to lesser charges.
Vamsimadhav Korrapati pleaded no contest to two counts of reckless endangerment, misdemeanors that did not involve allegations of sexual abuse.
The plea bargain came as Northampton County prosecutors withdrew charges that, if Korrapati was convicted, would have required him to register as a sex offender.
Instead, Assistant District Attorney Anthony Casola said only that over a multiyear span ending in 2014, Korrapati displayed "reckless conduct" toward the two children that "may have placed them in danger of serious bodily injury."
At the time of his arraignment, Korrapati said he had practiced medicine at several Lehigh Valley hospitals before the allegations surfaced.
Vamsimadhav Korrapati, 41, of the 300 block of Valley Park South in Bethlehem was charged in October with two felony counts each of indecent assault of a person under age 13, corruption of minors and endangering the welfare of children
According to Korrapati's online profile, he worked at St. Luke's University Hospital in Fountain Hill and at Easton Hospital in Wilson.
At a preliminary hearing in February, one of the children testified that Korrapati would fondle him and force him to touch Korrapati's genitals. The boy charged that Korrapati performed similar acts on the other child, a girl.
Police said the offenses occurred in Hanover Township, Northampton County. Korrapati knew the two children, who provided statements of the alleged abuse to county caseworkers, police said.
On Wednesday, Casola said the plea agreement had the blessing of Korrapati's victims, who wished to avoid the emotional hazards of a trial. "In looking at the case and assessing the conduct involved and speaking with the victims, we thought it would be a good resolution," Casola said.
Casola said Korrapati's medical license remains suspended, and he could face immigration consequences as a native of India. "He is here legally, but obviously [the conviction] may impact that as well," Casola said.
Korrapati's attorney, Brian McMonagle, declined comment after the hearing.
By pleading no contest, Korrapati admitted prosecutors could prove the endangerment charges beyond a reasonable doubt. For the purposes of sentencing, it is considered the same as a guilty plea.
Korrapati, 42, remains free on unsecured bail. He will be sentenced Jan. 20 by Judge F.P. Kimberly McFadden.
A Brooklyn man was sentenced Wednesday to more than 108 years in prison for sexually abusing children.
Natalio Canete-Perez, 35, of Kensington was convicted earlier this month of predatory sexual assault, among other charges.
Prosecutors say he raped a 12-year-old girl several times and that he videotaped one of the assaults in Prospect Park.
Canete-Perez also pretended to be a young girl on Facebook so he could exploit a 10-year-old girl and a 15-year-old boy.
DAVENPORT, Iowa (KWQC) – The convictions of two men accused of abusing children in a mobile home park have been affirmed by the Iowa Court of Appeals. The court upheld three counts of 2nd degree sexual abuse against Melvin Lucier, who was already sentenced to life in prison for sexually abusing several children in other cases.
In a statement released Nov. 23, 2016, Scott County Attorney Mike Walton said the convictions were pursued to “seek justice on behalf of each victim” and ensure that Lucier will not have access to children.
Lucier (left) and Thomas Jenkins (right) were convicted of abusing the children they were caring for at the Patriot Mobile Home Park in 2014. Jenkins’ 50 year sentence for two counts of 2nd degree sexual abuse was also affirmed in a separate opinion. The mothers of the children were also charged with child endangerment for allowing their children to stay with known sex offenders. In all, 10 people were charged, with nine sentenced to prison. One was ruled incompetent to stand trial.
KENTWOOD, Mich. — A pastor at a Grand Rapids church was arrested after police say he tried to meet an 11-year-old girl for sex.
David Robert Diehl, 39, of Kentwood, was arraigned Wednesday on child sexually abusive activity and using a computer to commit a crime charges.
Diehl was arrested on Nov. 22 after he responded to an undercover officer’s post on Grand Rapids Craigslist, which warned about a poster offering “sex with daughters.”
Michigan State Police say Diehl is a pastor at Church on Fire in Grand Rapids. He is also a member of the National Guards.
There is no evidence so far of actual victims, according to MSP.