'Upskirters' target girls as young as 10, police powerless
involving former students
A piano teacher in Coquitlam, British Columbia, who has been teaching in private homes for more than 20 years has been charged with sexual offences involving three former students.
In a news release on Tuesday, RCMP released a photo of Kubyshkin, saying they believe other victims could be out there.
The 67-year-old man is described as 5’10”, 160 lbs., with white/blond hair, blue eyes, a mustache and a medium build. He speaks with a Russian accent. He is not previously known to police.
“If you believe that you, or someone you know, has been a victim of a crime involving Kubyshkin, please call the Coquitlam RCMP,” the release said.
The detachment’s non-emergency number is 604-945-1550. Ask for the investigative support team, file #2018-1860.
Winnipeg police have issued an arrest warrant for a rabbi charged with sex crimes alleged to have occurred between 1993 and 1999.
Sexual interference involves touching someone under the age of 16 for a sexual purpose and a conviction carries a minimum one-year prison sentence. Invitation to sexual touching also involves minors and a minimum one-year prison term.
One-year sentence minimum, how pathetic is that?
Winnipeg police said Tuesday that they issued a warrant for Simmonds' arrest in October. Investigators believe he fled to the United States. Simmonds "is aware of the warrant and is actively evading police," WPS said in a statement.
Canadian arrest warrants are enforceable only in Canada, police said. There may be extradition or reciprocity arrangements in place with the U.S. government or certain states, but police offered no details on any such agreements in Simmonds' case.
He worked as a fundraiser for the orthodox Chabad-Lubavitch Jewish Learning Centre in Winnipeg from 2000 to 2016, after the alleged sex crimes occurred. Its board of directors issued a statement Tuesday saying it broke ties with Simmonds before he was charged by police.
"We have been advised that these charges relate to matters that allegedly occurred prior to Rabbi Simmonds’ engagement with the centre," the statement said.
Someone with knowledge of the circumstances said Simmonds was expected to return to Winnipeg to face the charges after the Jewish high holidays of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur last fall. That didn't happen and the arrest warrant was issued, said the source, who agreed to comment on condition of anonymity. They said the alleged victims are female.
While the community wasn't informed about the allegations against him, the closely connected network of those running the learning centres would be made aware of them, the source familiar with the situation said.
"There's no way he's going to be employed in another lubavitch," the source said.
The Hasidic organization Chabad-Lubavitch operates an extensive outreach effort to encourage unaffiliated Jews to return to traditional practices. Members of Chabad-Lubavitch are differentiated from other orthodox Jews by their devotion to a dynastic leader (referred to as a "Rebbe"), their wearing of distinctive clothing and a commitment to a Torah life, according to several websites.
A former Christian brother who sexually abused five boys in Ballarat in the 1970s has been jailed for the first time after pleading guilty to more charges.
He has never previously been jailed for his crimes, despite this current case bringing his confirmed number of victims to five.
In 1997 he was given a two-year suspended sentence after being convicted of nine counts of indecent assault and a three-month suspended sentence in 2013 for another count of indecent assault.
The sentence handed down in the Melbourne Magistrates' Court means he will now spend four months in prison.
Magistrate Belinda Wallington said that although it seemed Farrell had been able to put the offending behind him and have a "successful life", it had had a devastating and sustained impact on his victims.
She described their descriptions of the betrayal of their trust and its long-term effect as "heart-wrenching".
Magistrate Wallington said the maximum penalty at the time of Farrell's offending, which was five years jail for indecent assault, was relatively low.
"What we now know is the devastating impact of child sexual abuse," she said.
It is unclear if Farrell will appeal against the sentence.
ABC Alice Springs By Claire Campbell and staff
More than 20 notifications were made to child services about the Tennant Creek household where a two-year-old girl was allegedly raped, but Territory Families maintains there were "no specific concerns".
The toddler was allegedly raped in the outback town, about 500 kilometres north of Alice Springs, last week.
Territory Families has confirmed the department received 21 notifications about the household dating back to August 2015, but only six had been substantiated.
The child's uncle, who cannot be named for legal reasons, said eight notifications had been made to child services in the two months leading up to the incident. Territory Families Chief Executive Ken Davies said reports made about the household related to domestic violence and alcohol.
"In terms of the notifications we received, there were no specific concerns that came to Territory Families about particular harm to this child of a sexual nature," he said. "They were not substantial enough to take the child out of this household and away from the mother."
"What we did was where these issues were substantiated, we responded and we put in family support services to support the family and the mother in that household."
Territory Families 'disconnected' from Aboriginal community
The NT Government has since ordered an immediate investigation into its handling of the case and a review of all cases where children had been subject to multiple notifications.
The Acting Chief Minister Nicole Manison conceded the government had "failed" the child.
Dozens of letters have been sent to government ministers in recent months outlining concerns for safety, but locals say they went unanswered until reports of the alleged rape surfaced on Tuesday.
The girl's uncle said his family was distressed by what had happened and called for less Top End-based decision-making on local issues. "There were concerns about this little girl and nothing really happened," he said.
"Eight notifications in the last two months and they haven't sent one to this office here because they assessed it as not high risk. How do they know? They don't live here. Failure after failure after failure, how much longer can we put up with this?"
Anyinginyi Health Aboriginal Corporation chair Ross Jakamarra Williams, who is also a traditional owner of Tennant Creek, said local police and government agencies had failed the community for years.
"The Department (of Territory Families) employees do not work in the interest of this community because they themselves are totally disconnected from Aboriginal families and the real issues they face," he said.
"What I have lived and witnesses in the past two weeks is intolerant and unacceptable for any community in this country."
'For God's sake, think of the children'
Federal Minister for Indigenous Health Ken Wyatt said the incident was unacceptable, but warned against finger-pointing. "It's easy to say an agency hasn't responded, or a government hasn't responded," he told ABC Radio Darwin. "But on a broader front, as Indigenous Australians, we've been asking for a reduction in the number of aboriginal children in out-of-home care."
Mr Wyatt said he would rather see wrap-around services for families "having challenges", but conceded there should have been discussions with extended family to take the child "out of harms way".
Former chairman of the Federal Government's Indigenous Advisory Council Warren Mundine said action should have been taken once the notifications to child services were received.
"Next time an Aboriginal leader stands up worried about the child, worried about a stolen generation, for God's sake, think about the child," he said. "We are condemning children in these communities to a life of misery."
The attack is alleged to have happened in the same week a man died after a fatal assault.
Last Thursday night, the evening of the assault, Tennant Creek police received almost twice as many callouts as usual during a 12-hour period overnight and believe alcohol was a major factor behind the spike.
NT Police have responded to the spike in crime by bolstering resources in the town and ramping up operation of Strikeforce Haven.
A former public school groundsman has been jailed for 17 years for abusing two boys more than 20 years ago.
The 67-year-old, of Cleveland Close in Worksop, Nottinghamshire, admitted seven offences of indecency against one victim and four against the other.
He moved to Devon from Rotherham, South Yorkshire, where he had also abused a child over more than two years.
The abuse of the first child took place in the 1980s and of the second child in the 1990s.
Sentencing, Judge Geoffrey Mercer said the sentence reflected the fact that one of the assaults would now be classified as rape.
Det Con Richard Howe, from South Yorkshire Police said: "Weyman used bribes to overpower the victim [in Rotherham], telling him he would buy him toys and things he wanted, abusing the trust he had gained from the victim for his own evil purposes.
"The abuse Weyman subjected him to was absolutely horrific, so horrific in fact that the victim was nearly physically sick when recalling what had happened."
"I'd like to praise him for the courage he has shown throughout this entire process and I'm pleased that Weyman pleaded guilty, meaning the victim was spared the ordeal of a trial."
He was put on the sex offenders' register for life and made the subject of a sexual harm prevention order, which restricts any future contact with children.
Turkey’s government is looking to strengthen penalties heavily for child abusers, perhaps even reintroducing so-called chemical castration “to reduce or eliminate” the sex drives of offenders, a top minister has said.
Speaking at a press event in the Turkish capital of Ankara, Justice Minister Abdulhamit Gül said this week the government will oversee the drafting of a new set of proposed laws geared at increasing the administrative measures against child abusers.
“A commission supervised by a deputy prime minister will start working as of tomorrow,” Gül told reporters Wednesday, state news agency Anadolu reported. Once drafted, the bill would need parliament’s approval to become law. However, the last time the government tried to reintroduce the measure, in 2016, Turkey’s highest administrative court intervened to block the bill, stating that its definition and limit were “vague.”
Gül said Turkey was looking to crack down on child sex offenders after seeing a rise in court rulings on child sexual abuse, with 21,189 cases in 2016—a fourfold increase from 2006. Over 60 percent of the 2016 cases ended in convictions.
Gül spoke after Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan raised the issue of child abuse at a meeting with his ministers, describing the crime as “dynamite that will take our society to collapse,” German public broadcaster Deutsche Welle reported. Erdogan also promised the “severest punishment” for acts of child abuse, though he did not give specific examples. Turkey does not currently have the death penalty, as capital punishment is inconsistent with the country’s faltering bid to join the European Union. Chemical castration for child abusers has been used by several current EU members, but in most cases the offender chooses the measure in exchange for a lighter sentence. Since 2010, courts in Poland have had the power to sentence sex offenders to mandatory chemical castration.
Gül’s statement has sparked an outcry from rights groups. The Women’s Assemblies Organization, a Turkish activism group, decried it as flying in the face of human rights and “a punishment that was distant from modern law.”
The term chemical castration refers to the use of anaphrodisiac drugs pills or injections to periodically reduce sexual urges and sexual performance. Its effects are not permanent, and the drug needs to be administered over time to continue working.
Australian victims of notorious St John of God Brother Bernard McGrath have urged New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern to include churches in a child abuse royal commission after McGrath's fight against extradition from New Zealand stopped the Australian royal commission from a public inquiry into the Catholic order.
Ms Ardern and Children's Minister Tracey Martin said the royal commission could investigate abuse cases involving children under state care in church facilities but the inquiry was "about the people, not the institutions". The restriction could rule out up to 50 per cent of complainants, critics say.
Ms Martin confirmed the commission would investigate complaints about abuse in church facilities such as Marylands only if children were under state care, but would not investigate cases in which children were sent by their parents.
She said the royal commission was established to look at failings in state care where the government had a responsibility to keep children from harm. "A key difference between the New Zealand and Australian royal commissions is that it is about the government's role, and the definition of harm is much wider," Ms Martin said.
New Zealand victims' advocate Murray Heasley said the royal commission ran the risk of being "a Clayton's royal commission, the one where you are not really having a royal commission but want to show you ticked the box".
St John of God - Paedophile ring
The Australian Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse found 40 per cent of St John of God Brothers were alleged child sex offenders, the highest percentage of alleged offenders in any institution investigated by the commission.
However, it advised McGrath victims it could not hold a public hearing into the order because of the risk of prejudicing his trial and that of a second St John of God offender, Brother John Clegg. Clegg was found guilty in 2015 of multiple offences, including sexual intercourse against boys at a St John of God school.
New Zealand-born McGrath, 70, was charged by Lake Macquarie detectives in 2012 with more than 250 offences at Kendall Grange. He unsuccessfully fought extradition from New Zealand only weeks after the Australian royal commission was established in November 2012.
A jury last November found him guilty of multiple serious child sex offences against multiple victims in the Hunter, including at the notorious St John of God Kendall Grange school for troubled boys at Morisset between 1978 and 1986.
He was jailed for 33 years by the Sydney District Court on Friday.
Judge Sarah Huggett said she had "no doubt at all that systemic abuse of children at Kendall Grange was taking place" during the period of McGrath's offending.
She said that, "appallingly", McGrath was transferred from St John of God's Marylands school near Christchurch to Kendall Grange in late 1977 "when allegations were made about his conduct at Marylands School". He served three previous jail sentences in Australia and New Zealand for crimes against children in St John of God facilities.
The sister and mother of a McGrath victim wept in court on Friday as the details of McGrath's crimes against 12 boys at Kendall Grange were outlined. "If they don't expand the terms of reference it will be like St John of God has hidden behind a paedophile, and the New Zealand government is letting them get away with it," they said.
St John of God whistleblower Michelle Mulvihill said the terms of reference had to be broadened because the order had been "able to slip under the radar over and over again without public scrutiny or questioning about how they responded to victims" and "still blames the media for all its woes".
Dr Mulvihill said evidence at trials involving Australian and New Zealand St John of God facilities showed the need for the New Zealand royal commission to investigate the order. "Surely it is time the New Zealand government stood up to this order and demanded answers," Dr Mulvihill said.
Long-term Catholic Church whistleblower priest Tom Doyle, who is advising and supporting child abuse victims in New Zealand and Australia, said a royal commission that "bypassed the religious entities is a joke and a waste because they are the worst offenders".
Hunter man John, a victim of McGrath who suffered severe, painful and humiliating sexual, physical and emotional abuse at Kendall Grange from the age of nine, said churches would be "getting away with it" if the terms of reference weren't expanded. "If they don't include churches then they're leaving half of it out. It would be virtually like covering up their crimes," John said.
Last week, Philippines ambassador to New Zealand, Jesus Domingo, wrote to Ms Ardern calling for an expanded royal commission, in part because of the child sex crimes of notorious Hunter paedophile priest Denis McAlinden.
The priest sexually abused at least one girl in New Zealand after Maitland-Newcastle Bishop Leo Clarke sent him there in the 1980s following decades of sexually abusing Australian children, and allowed him to retire to the Philippines in the 1990s where he lived near a school.
In a New Zealand radio interview Mr Domingo said the "first level of concern" for the Philippines government was "Australian and New Zealand priests going to the Philippines and the abuse they may have committed".