NORFOLK, Va. (AP) -- A former U.S. Navy Seal has been sentenced for producing images of child sexual abuse.
According to a statement of facts filed with the plea agreement, the investigation into Seerden began after a woman reported that he sexually assaulted her.
A digital forensic examiner found child pornography images after NCIS agents seized and searched Seerden's iPhone. Further analysis confirmed several images and videos of child pornography.
Seerden is also charged in San Diego. Court documents show the accusations involve a minor Seerden knew and the recording of sexual abuse involving the child on an iPhone.
The Cedar City man who allegedly stabbed himself and groped an ambulance employee while intoxicated is now facing additional sexual abuse charges.
Cedar City Police responded to a home on the 100 block of 412 West in Cedar City shortly after 11 p.m. Tuesday on a report that the 29-year-old had stabbed himself in the chest after drinking several alcoholic beverages.
Police found Castro lying on the kitchen floor unconscious, according to the probable cause statement filed in 5th District Court Friday.
While responding to the incident, two female juvenile victims told officers Castro had sexually abused them earlier in the night, the report said.
Investigators interviewed the two female victims at the Iron County Children's Justice Center Thursday. The first victim said Castro had inappropriately touched her, the statement detailed. She told him to stop and pushed him away before he left the room. The second victim also told investigators she had been inappropriately touched by Castro before pushing him away, the two girls hid in a locked room of the home and refused to let Castro enter.
He then allegedly told the victims, "That's it, I'm going to end this now," before stabbing himself in the chest with a knife.
The victim called 911 and the unconscious suspect was transported to the Cedar City Hospital for treatment for the superficial stab wounds and extreme intoxication. He allegedly grabbed the breasts of a female ambulance employee and attempted to kiss her after regaining consciousness in the ambulance. After arriving at the hospital, police said Castro became combative and refused to comply with officers demands.
He was charged with a barrage of misdemeanors Thursday, including sexual battery, intoxication, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.
Castro is being held in the Iron County jail on $5,000 cash-only bail for the first series of charges in addition to the $150,000 cash-only bail for the two counts of sexual abuse.
A former Tulsa police officer is expected to spend at least 15 years in federal prison after pleading guilty Friday in federal court to sexual exploitation of an 8-year-old girl.
faced two additional federal charges including enticement and possession of child pornography but accepted a plea agreement with the U.S. Attorney's Office that resulted in the dismissal of those counts. McFadden, who is in custody, admitted in his guilty plea to asking the child during an April 2017 encounter to engage in sexual conduct that included having her take nude photographs with a cellphone camera.
McFadden is additionally charged in Tulsa County District Court with seven counts of child sexual abuse based on reports from a woman who said two young girls revealed that McFadden, a well-known former Tulsa Police officer in the neighborhood, coerced them to touch him sexually in exchange for gifts. A search of a laptop and cellphone reportedly given to the girls as gifts revealed pornographic photos and a video, according to court documents.
That case is pending and is scheduled for resolution March 12. McFadden will be sentenced May 16 in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma.
"Having the opportunity to hear the guilty plea is a blessing to us so that we don't have to have the children go through the extensive trial and to have to relive this thing day after day as we have done for the last 10 months," Barbara Thompson, a relative of the girls, told reporters after Friday's hearing concluded.
In making a finding of guilt, Chief U.S. District Judge Gregory Frizzell told McFadden he could decide on a sentence anywhere from 15 years, which is the mandatory minimum, to a maximum of 30 years. Frizzell also questioned McFadden about what he did to the 8-year-old girl at issue in the federal case, and the judge implied he believed McFadden was "hedging" when he did not clearly describe what he told the girl when he asked her for nude photographs.
They're always sorry when they have been caught!
But defense attorney Stan Monroe said he believed his client was sorry for his actions as evidenced by his guilty plea and decision not to take either of his cases to trial, even if he was unable to remember what exactly he said to solicit illegal activity.
"I think Mr. McFadden saw himself as a nice man. He was very generous with people in his neighborhood, and I think at least with this family it went certainly a step too far — many steps too far," he said of the situation. "He feels bad. His wife and family feel very bad, and it's a horrible outcome for everybody."
Monroe added that McFadden is aware that even the minimum possible sentence is in effect a life term in prison due to his age.
"It was because of the courage of one little 8-year-old girl that made this day happen where the defendant, Noel McFadden, had to stand before a court and before the victim's family and admit that he sexually exploited a child," Assistant U.S. Attorney Jeff Gallant said.
And, before his own family! This is how you take a successful career and turn yourself into a disgrace!
BY KAITLYN SCHWERS, firstname.lastname@example.org
An 80-year-old man in Odessa, Mo., was found guilty of sexually abusing two 12-year-old female relatives he was caring for after school, the Missouri Attorney General’s Office announced this week.
In one instance, Sanders put money into a child’s underwear and bra and had the children touch him, the attorney general’s office said. The abuse went back 30-plus years.
During the two-day trial, the attorney general’s office said a victim from the early 1980s testified she was abused at around the same age but was encouraged by family to stay quiet.
After five years of abuse, one of the victims told a school counselor.
Sanders is scheduled to be sentenced on April 2. He faces a possible life sentence in prison and is not eligible for bail or bond.
The case was tried by Special Prosecutor Monty Platz of the attorney general’s office at the request of the Lafayette County prosecuting attorney’s office, which originally filed the charges.
Kamehameha School in Honolulu is one of a kind. Situated on a sprawling 600-acre campus on choice Oahu land, its massive multibillion-dollar endowment supports a first-rate K-12 education for some 3,000 children of Hawaiian ancestry. It offers otherwise deprived families a wealth of facilities, exceeding those of the fanciest private schools in America, with more than 70 buildings, including an Olympic-size swimming pool and an athletic complex seating 3,000 spectators.
Kamehameha School is “a towering symbol of Hawaiian pride” with a proud legacy, as Hawaii News Now expressed it. Named for the great monarch who united the Hawaiian Islands — King Kamehameha I — and established in the will of his last direct descendant, it has educated some of the Islands’ leading lights since 1887.
But it also harbored a sordid secret for years: The school was covering up what a lawsuit brought by 32 of those former students described as “decades of monstrous sexual abuse” perpetrated largely against male boarders who were entirely in the care of Kamehameha.
For 27 years, from 1958 to 1985, under the guise of providing these children with behavioral and psychological therapy, the school forced them, sometimes under threat of expulsion, to see a psychiatrist. He drugged them, raped them and tormented them psychologically at weekend “sleepovers” in his home, the lawsuit says.
Now, after nearly two years of negotiation, the school and the plaintiffs have reached a settlement for the staggering sum of $80 million, lawyers for the abused men said in a news release. In addition to paying out the money, the school has agreed to take steps to make sure such abuses are never repeated, including establishing an independently run hotline service.
“After a bitter battle,” Mark S. Davis, one of the plaintiffs’ lawyers, told The Washington Post, the school trustees “began to understand that in this ‘MeToo’ world, transparency and accountability is a lot more valuable than concealment.”
The settlement culminates one of the most high-profile scandals in Hawaii’s modern history involving one of the state’s greatest pillars. Kamehameha Schools, which now includes campuses on the islands of Hawaii and Maui as well as Oahu, is run by the Bishop Estate, established under the will of King Kamehameha’s great granddaughter, Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop. The estate, according to the school’s website, includes more than 365,000 acres of valuable Hawaii real estate which, when combined with other assets, was valued at $11 billion in 2014.
A Kamehameha spokesman did not respond immediately to a request for comment from The Washington Post. But the school has not disputed the allegations. Indeed, it issued a public apology recently as the attention to the lawsuit mounted. In depositions, former school officials admitted that they knew of the abuses.
No one, said the school’s CEO Jack Wong in the public apology, “was prepared for the horrific revelation that our precious haumāna (students) were secretly abused and physically and emotionally traumatized from 1962-1984 by Dr. Robert Browne, Chief of Psychiatry at St. Francis Hospital. And, after abuses were reported, not nearly enough was done. … Kamehameha Schools is deeply and truly sorry.”
According to the lawsuit, in fact, nothing was done about the abuses committed by Browne, which are set out in unvarnished detail in the complaint and have been supplemented by interviews conducted in Hawaii media, including Hawaii News Now and the Honolulu Star Advertiser.
Graphic, disturbing details follow:
Browne “required” the boys to masturbate for him and sometimes simultaneously with him, engage in oral sex and be “penetrated with objects,” all to satisfy what appeared to be his insatiable pedophiliac appetite, according to the lawsuit.
He “raped, and sodomized” one boy from 1975, when he was 11 years old, through 1977, the lawsuit said, inserting his fingers, and “large Sharpie-type pens,” into the child’s rectum, causing bleeding. He brandished a revolver as well, and made the child look at pornography, all the while “telling him he was a nobody, no one would believe him, he was lying, nobody loved him, and nobody cared about him except Dr. Browne.”
Browne told the boys it was all normal.
“He said this was therapy,” Emmett Lee Loy, now an attorney and a plaintiff in the suit, told Hawaii News Now. “It would break down walls.”
Boys who dared to confide in school employees about the abuse got nowhere. A rape by the doctor reported to a house mother, for example, produced no action.
The same boy then told the school’s director of counseling about the sexual assault. Her response was to take him off campus and treat him to meals at fancy restaurants, according to the law suit, “in an attempt to pacify him and suppress his complaints.”
The abuse had lasting impact. Some suffered deep depression in later years and committed suicide or died of overdoses from drug habits acquired under Browne’s “treatments,” according to the lawsuit and Davis.
The boys remained silent into manhood. Browne continued as the school’s psychiatrist until one day in 1991 when Loy, then an adult, confronted him.
“He starts … breaking down and crying on the phone,” Loy told Hawaii News Now. “‘I’m sorry. I’m sorry’ He’s doing this crybaby thing on the phone. I said, ‘You’re not sorry for what you did, you’re sorry for getting caught.’”
That night Browne shot himself in the head. His body was found the next day in a neighbor’s backyard. The suicide and the accusations jolted school officials, Davis said, but they did nothing in response.
In a video deposition reported by the Hawaii Star Advertiser and Hawaii News Now, Michael Chun, president of the school at the time, admitted that he was concerned that there might be more victims. He went to the high school principal who, in his own deposition, reported being shocked but baffled about what steps to take.
“Basically,” the principal testified, “I said, ‘The man is dead. I don’t know what to do with this.’”
Chun was asked whether there was “any attempt whatsoever” to at least identify those who were patients of Dr. Browne. “Not to my understanding. No,” he responded.
“Why not?” the plaintiff’s lawyer asked him. “Can’t say,” Chun responded. “But did not happen.”
Chun went on to say that he went to the school’s legal department to get some guidance but that the legal department never got back to him. “But you could have done something,” said the lawyer.
Responded Chun: “Doing nothing is something, right? That’s been the culture at the school,” said Davis, “and in so many institutions that are faced with these crimes.”
Until relatively recently, the men had kept their stories largely to themselves. Gradually, they began to share their stories first with one another and then in the media and with the lawyers.
The result was the lawsuit, and ultimately, the settlement.
She allegedly failed to report an act of sexual abuse involving a child and another member of her household. Instead of reporting the incident, she forced the victim to confront her attacker. She also reportedly told the victim that she was going to get her attacker in trouble if she told anyone.
Finally, she allowed the defendant to stay in the residence after the alleged incident. The victim was seven years old.