The Independent Online
By Simon Walters Political Editor For The Mail On Sunday
A key criticism levelled at the police chief under fire for the paedophile investigation into Sir Edward Heath was exposed as false today.
Wiltshire Chief Constable Mike Veale has been condemned for including the alleged rape of an 11-year-old boy by Sir Edward in 1961 among seven cases he said would warrant questioning the former Prime Minister under caution were he alive today.
Critics said Mr Veale had blundered because Scotland Yard 'investigated' the case in 2015 and 'dropped' it.
In fact, Scotland Yard did NOT investigate the claim because they secretly introduced a policy 'not to prove or disprove' child sex allegations against dead people, The Mail on Sunday can disclose.
The alleged victim of the rape, who is now 68 and went on to be convicted of child sex abuse crimes himself, complained to the Metropolitan Police in April 2015.
Four months later, the force said it had obtained a 'full account' from the complainant and, after a 'full assessment of the allegation', decided there were 'no lines of inquiry that could be proportionately pursued'.
The statement was interpreted as meaning that the Met had carried out a full investigation and dismissed the claim as groundless – and was used to attack Mr Veale's claim that the allegation was serious.
However, this newspaper can disclose that Scotland Yard did not investigate the matter because of its new policy on 'response to allegations of sexual abuse against deceased suspects' – which can be revealed for the first time.
In a statement to The Mail on Sunday, a Scotland Yard spokesperson said the rules state: 'The purpose is not to prove or disprove the offence reported.'
Instead, the main aim is to find out if the suspect was linked to other abusers and prevent any 'current risk to children'. It adds: 'A full and detailed criminal investigation may not be required to achieve this.'
Then perhaps you shouldn't cause others to believe that you had completed a full investigation.
By contrast, Mr Veale's team was ordered to carry out a full investigation into the claims against Sir Edward, who died in 2005. Rules set out last year by Operation Hydrant, the national police inquiry into all historic child sex abuse inquiries, said it was vital to 'establish the facts and identify offenders deceased or not.
'The closer to power, the greater is the duty to investigate.'
'Due to Sir Edward's prominence, it is particularly relevant to investigate allegations against him.'
Mr Veale's supporters reject criticism for investigating complaints by 'victims' who may have gone on to abuse children themselves or were rent boys.
They highlighted research that suggests some people become abusers as a result of being abused themselves as young children.
A well-placed source said: 'Wiltshire Police fully expected to discover the Heath claims were nonsense, and that if there was any evidence, it would be well hidden.
'They were as surprised as anyone to find the evidence was there with telltale patterns of behaviour, but no one had really looked for it. 'If, as they believe, some of the allegations are true, other police forces who failed to act in the past will have a lot to answer for.'
The controversy took a new twist yesterday after the alleged rape victim's sister reportedly said her brother's claims were a 'crock of ****'. She is said to have called him a 'born liar'.
A FORMER Wiltshire Police officer wept today as he was convicted of two counts of indecent assault against a girl under the age of 16.
After more than five and a half hours of deliberation, jurors failed to return verdicts on two further counts of indecent assault and cleared him of another three of the same charge.
Portsmouth Crown Court heard the offences took place almost three decades ago.
Inskip, who now lives in Newcastle Emlyn, Wales, was alleged to have indecently assaulted two girls under the age of 16 and was convicted of inappropriately touching one of the females.
Releasing him on bail until a decision on whether to have a re-trial or proceed to sentencing, Judge Stephen Climie told Inskip he should expect to be jailed.
He said: “As you know, there will come a time when I have to proceed to a sentencing in this case. The guidelines set out for offences of this kind state a significant term of imprisonment."
“I am allowing you bail, but you should not think that guaranteeing you bail is indicative to the likeliness of my sentencing against you. You are bailed on the same terms as you were previously, but I must stress there is to be no contact between either parties in this case.”
The Crown Prosecution Service will now decide on whether they will proceed with a re-trial on the two charges the jury could not reach a verdict on.
Inskip is due to be sentenced on the two charges he has been convicted of at a later date, in a hearing which could be held at Guildford Crown Court. A spokesman for Wiltshire Police declined to comment at this stage.
An NSPCC spokesman for South West England said: “Regardless of the time that has passed, these offences are shocking and represent an extremely serious case of child sexual abuse.
“Inksip’s victim must be praised for her bravery in speaking out. It is absolutely right that people who suffered child sexual abuse, such as the woman in this case, can seek justice and support no matter how much time has passed since their ordeal.
Any adult wishing to discuss a child’s welfare can contact the NSPCC Helpline at any time for free on 0808 800 5000.
A Toronto Catholic high school teacher has been charged by police with luring a child online for sexual purposes.
Toronto police said a search warrant was executed in the area of Bloor St. W. and Lansdowne Ave. on Thursday.
Police alleged that the teacher used different usernames online, including thepoppaship, poppaship, mrmcteacher, G-Note/ G Note, massive reggae/massivereggae.
TCDSB spokesperson John Yan said the teacher has been removed from his position at Bishop Allen Academy.
“We want to reassure our parents and students that these allegations are not reflective of the caring and compassionate teaching professionals who work in our schools,” said Yan. Counsellors are available to any students and staff who may need support.
The teacher may have worked as an education assistant at St. Francis Xavier Secondary School in Mississauga from 1995 to 2000, police said. He worked as an administrative assistant at St. Francis Table in Toronto from 2000-2006.
Police said the investigation continues. They are urging anyone who may have been subjected to inappropriate contact by the teacher to call investigators.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Sex Crimes, Child Exploitation Section at 416-808-8500, or Crime Stoppers, anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477).