RIVERSIDE, California — Authorities Wednesday were attempting to locate more possible victims of a registered sex offender who is accused of sexually abuse a child while volunteering at a local church.
Rudolph Michael Hernandez, 47, was arrested on Feb. 12 for lewd acts with a child and kidnapping, the Riverside Police Department said.
Officers served a search warrant at his home on Molly Street earlier that day after they conducted an investigation alleging that Hernandez abused a child.
The suspect was a volunteer with children’s groups at churches in Riverside and Big Bear for several years, officials said.
“Information was received that Rudolph Michael Hernandez was in the bathroom in a church alone with a child while he was a volunteer, which caused his services to be terminated with the church,” Det. Bercian said.
It is unknown which church the incident occurred at.
Hernandez was free on $75,000 bail and was set to appear in court on April 10.
Detectives were asking the public to help identify churches that Hernandez volunteered at as well as any additional victims. Anyone with information should call Det. Bercian at (951)353-7950.
Mauro Hernandez, 49, and the 49-year-old mother of the girl were arrested after investigators learned Hernandez was allegedly sexually abusing the girl. The mother, whose name is not being released to protect the identity of the girl, was charged with willful cruelty to a child, records show.
On Feb. 3, San Bernardino County sheriff’s deputies from the Fontana Station were alerted to the alleged abuse.
Detectives investigated and identified Hernandez, a registered sex offender, as the suspect.
Hernandez turned himself in on Feb. 11. That same day, detectives interviewed the victim’s mother who was later arrested.
Both are scheduled to be back in court on Friday.
Hernandez was booked into the West Valley Detention Center on several counts of suspicion of sexual abuse of a minor and his bail was set at $1 million. The girl’s mother was booked into the West Valley Detention Center on suspicion of child endangerment. Her bail was set at $100,000.
Detectives are concerned there may be additional victims and anyone with information about the suspect is urged to contact the Fontana Sheriff’s Station. Callers wishing to remain anonymous may contact the WeTip Hotline at 800-78-CRIME (27463) or leave information on the WeTip website at wetip.com
WHITE PLAINS, New York (CBSNewYork/AP) – A former girls basketball coach in Westchester County who pleaded guilty in state court to sexually assaulting children has now been sentenced in federal court on similar charges.
Richard Dinizo, 60, received a 50-year prison sentence on Tuesday after pleading guilty to abusing seven children under 11 years old.
Prosecutors said Dinizo recorded the abuse and transported the videos out of state.
Last year, the Cortlandt Manor resident was sentenced to 25 years to life in prison for sex acts with three grade-school girls after pleading guilty in state court.
In that case, prosecutors said the offenses occurred between 2008 and 2010. They said Dinizo had the girls wear masks to cover their eyes, then had them engage in oral sex.
State prosecutors said Dinizo had coached at various schools and leagues but had not coached the girls involved.